"Wonderful Little Mountain Town" San Cristóbal de Las Casas by DSwede

San Cristóbal de Las Casas Travel Guide: 178 reviews and 598 photos

I spent a nice long weekend in San Cristobal with some new friends. I had San Cris on my wish list for a long time, so was thankful to have the opportunity to come down over a long holiday weekend.

The town, dating back to the 16th centuries, is one of the oldest in all of Mexico. The streets are narrow, yet on an easily navigable square grid. The buildings are low rises (1~2 stories) but have wonderfully color facades. The high elevation in the mountains gives the air a clean crisp feel, where it can be hot in the sun and chilly without it.

The feeling of the city is very comfortable for most visitors. It is on the main backpacker path for a reason. It is quaint, picturesque, relatively cheap (despite the few pricy options here and there), and has lots of options for food and nighttime entertainment. I saw the sun rise twice and that wasn't because I'm an early riser...

Feel free to visit my Mexico page for more on my time and visits to other places within Mexico.

I've placed more photos in my Mexico Gallery, so feel free to visit. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.

• Pros:Warm days and cool nights, a good break from the rest of steamy Chiapas
  • Cons:Lots of tourists and plenty of needy indigenous craftsmen.
  • In a nutshell:A trendy but beautiful old city, with good crafts, nightlife and restaurants.
  • Intro Updated Sep 24, 2011

Comments

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in San Cristóbal de Las Casas

Have you been to San Cristóbal de Las Casas?