"Home of the Oilers" Edmonton by DSwede
Edmonton Travel Guide: 641 reviews and 1,128 photos
Having worked in Edmonton on countless occasions, many times for months each, at times I considered Edmonton my second home. When ever I could, I would venture into the mountains of nearby Jasper NP, Jasper town and Banff.
As you drive in from the south, you will pass by an old oil extraction pump in the middle of the highway. You have just now entered the land of the Oilers.
Historically, the river was a central place for trade and transportation of traders, adventurers, explorers, trappers, and indigenous people. Now it is a thriving heart land of industry and business.
It is a gateway to the oil fields to the north and one of the busiest refining areas in North America, hence the name and mascot The Oilers.
One thing that I love about Edmonton is its young and jovial flavor (oh sorry, Canadians spell that flavour). There is a fairly active night life, both down town, Whyte Ave and dotted elsewhere. But there are also wonderful parks and outdoor areas for the people to enjoy. And enjoy, they do. Edmonton is a wonderfully physically active city, with a large amount of sports and recreation.
Basically people here enjoy the outdoors to the maximum during the summer since the winters are not as hospitable. Nearly every bar and restaurant has outdoor beer garden or chairs (if yours does not, you chose poorly).
What can be better than playing a round of golf after work and still getting the last whole in at 9pm before watching the sun set from the club house? [Granted the flip side in the winter is not as kind when the sun sets at 3pm]
I won't bother taking up any more people's time here... go out and play!!
- Pros:The river valley and parks are the best of any flat land city.
- Cons:Winters are long, cold and dark
- In a nutshell:With the river at its heart, this young and enthusiastic city enjoys its summer days with continuous festivals.
Edmonton has a young, active and healthy population. To that end, it has a fairly good selection of vegetarian eateries,... more travel advice
Open every Saturday all year (8am ~ 3pm), the Old Farmer's Market is a great place to walk around. Even if you don't... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Edmonton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Edmonton - Oil Capital of Canada"
- "Gateway to the north!"
- "A river runs through it ........"
- "Meeting Jojocan in Edmonton"
- "Darby's Edmonton, Alberta Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Edmonton
- Hotels in Edmonton
- Transportation in Edmonton
- Nightlife in Edmonton
- Restaurants in Edmonton
- Shopping in Edmonton
- Warnings and Dangers in Edmonton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Edmonton
- 14 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (164)
Have you been to Edmonton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edmonton
Photos in EdmontonSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 28 reviews, 21 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos