"Built on Oil (visit was after Hurricane Ike)" Port Arthur by DSwede
Port Arthur Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 8 photos
In the original days, Port Arthur was a ranching and lumber town, but with the discovery of oil, it quickly changed into a massive industrial area.
The plant's smoke stacks and columns dot the horizon, particularly if you see them from the heights of Bridge City's bridge!
This city went through its boom and has several wonderful old colonial style homes along the Lakeshore. However, as you go back away from the water, the residences gradually get more depressed and show people living meager lives.
Unfortunately, Hurricane Ike (2008) decimated the local communities. High flood waters have ruined the homes of most people and left the infrastructure in poor condition. Today, the town is basically a ghost town, since most people left for new start further inland.
If you come to this area, I recommend you stay up in Beaumont. There are many more options for accommodations, food and entertainment.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my USA Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Absolutely no travelers here, you'll have the whole place to yourself.
- Cons:Unfortunately, its rather like a ghost town and struggling to rebuild after Hurricane Ike.
- In a nutshell:Long coast lines and flat lands surround this old oil town.
The Woodworth House, or sometimes called Rose Hill Manor, was built for the mayor of Port Arthur in 1906. It is open for... more travel advice
With the discovery of oil at Spindletop in 1901, Port Arthur and the surrounding communities were forever changed. This... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Port Arthur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Arthur Texas"
- "Built on Oil (visit was after Hurricane Ike)"
- "Home of Sabine Pass"
- "Home Sweet Home"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Port Arthur
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Port Arthur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Arthur
Photos in Port ArthurSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Niterói Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Port Arthur hotel reviews
- Studio 6 Port Arthur (3000 Jimmy Johnson Blvd.)
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2013