"The Home of Black Gold" Top 5 Page for this destination Beaumont by DSwede
Beaumont Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 104 photos
Today, Beaumont is a rather nondescript stopping point for most traveling on I-10 through the southeast of Texas. Honestly speaking, there's not much here to interest most people and therefore does not have many outsiders stopping by.
Beaumont was first placed on the map in the late 1820's, but did not even get the interest of the outside world for another decade. The area around Beaumont was a large ranching and agricultural area.
The area saw turmoil and lots of activity during the Texas Revolution and the Civil War, but still remained a relatively small dot on the map until railroads started coming in the 1870's. After that it survived as a ranching, lumber and rice growing area, as well as railroad stopover.
That is until oil was found just outside of town in Spindletop. In 1899, the first attempts were made, but bankrupt investors had to wait until more resources were available.
In 1901, the Lucas Gusher was erupting for 9 days before being capped. By the end of the year, this little hamlet was producing more oil than the rest of the world combined. At this time, the city of Port Arthur, a few miles to the south, popped up out of nowhere to lead the industry in oil production.
The oil boom brought money, growth and prosperity. Over the decades, economies have risen and fallen, but Beaumont is still forever indebted to the wealth underfoot.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my USA Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Nothing is very far away in this town, it only takes a few minutes from one side to the other.
- Cons:Public transit is not that great, but improving.
- In a nutshell:Built on oil money, the town is now rather sleepy, but worth a stop to explore its streets.
The decoration of Hamburger Depot is nothing special. Its just an average style restaurant with a front counter where... more travel advice
While this building definitely looks like a church, with spires and stained glass windows along the naves, it also... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Beaumont Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Beaumont Page"
- "The Home of Black Gold"
- "Big Thicket"
- "The corner pocket of Texas"
- "jstmetami's new Beaumont Page"
- "Beaumont, Texas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beaumont
- Hotels in Beaumont
- Transportation in Beaumont
- Nightlife in Beaumont
- Restaurants in Beaumont
- Shopping in Beaumont
- Warnings and Dangers in Beaumont
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beaumont
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (164)
Have you been to Beaumont?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beaumont
Photos in BeaumontSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 28 reviews, 21 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos