"Gateway to the Sierras" Verdi by DSwede
Verdi Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 9 photos
Most people only know Verdi as either the home of the Boomtown Casino or the last chance to stop for gas before climbing west over the Sierras in Truckee. (Look up NV Historical marker 191)
Maybe even slightly less known, is that it was named after the Italian composer Giuseppe Verdi, or that its former name was O'Neils Crossing when it was a stopping point on the old Donner Pass Road in the 1860's.
Verdi was born with the construction of the Central Pacific Railroad in the late 1860's. It was a mill town, serving the lumber industry and logging railroads.
Verdi is a quiet town, not having been built up since Reno is only a few minutes away. The modern conveniences of life are all readily available in Reno, so Verdi has remained relatively untouched.
But Verdi is a great place to enjoy the Truckee River and start some hikes.
Feel free to visit my Nevada page for my thoughts on my home state.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my USA Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:The Truckee River gives great scenery and hikes
- Cons:Aside from the casino, not many accommodation and meal options.
- In a nutshell:A good place for a walk and casual meal.
North of Verdi is a place called Crystal Mountain. Some people also call it Peterson Mountain, so if you are asking for... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Verdi Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Verdi
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (165)
Have you been to Verdi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Verdi
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos