"The Middle of the "Loneliest Road"" Austin by DSwede
Austin Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 11 photos
US50, crossing through the middle of my home state, Nevada, is often labeled as the "Loneliest Road in America".
There are a few other notable signs such as a payphone on the side of the street being labeled as the "Loneliest Phone in America".
Crossing US50, you will see some wonderful mountains. They are desolate and arid, but beautiful. If you drive in the winter, make sure you have warm supplies and blankets in case you have a problem, because help might not come immediately. If you travel in the summer, bring extra fluids and be prepared for the heat. Austin is about half way between Fallon and Eureka on the way to Ely.
Austin's chamber of commerce has a comprehensive website that describes all recreation, history, accommodations and other information.
Austin is a small town (approximately 350 in 2004). It was named after Austin, Texas in the 1860's during the silver rush of Nevada.
The story goes that "triggered by a Pony Express horse who kicked over a rock and found gold. By summer 1863, the Austin and the surrounding Reese River Mining District had a population of over 10,000."
The Nevada Central Railroad was built to connect Austin with the transcontinental railroad at Battle Mountain in 1880. But the boom was over by then.
Silver mining was over in the 1880's, and the town started to become a living ghost town. But in the 1950's there was a little life put into the town by the discover of low grade Uranium ore.
- Pros:Locals will recognize you're not from there and will help you.
- Cons:More isolated, so options are more limited and expensive.
- In a nutshell:Worth a day's stop while traveling through the heart of Nevada to see a "living" ghost town on the Loneliest Road.
Built by the Stokes family in 1896, Stokes Castle has remained vacant nearly its entire life. The Stokes family were... more travel advice
Austin is an example of a living ghost town. It is just staying alive with about 350 people, after a decline from over... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Austin Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Austin
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Austin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Austin
Photos in AustinSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos