"The Hub" Top 5 Page for this destination Hattiesburg by DSwede
Hattiesburg Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 24 photos
Back in the 1880's while being surveyed for a rail spur between New Orleans and Meridian (Southern Railway System), Capt William Harris Hardy had the foresight to see the area's potential. With the imminent railroad and the Leaf River providing transportation channels, the rich forest gave birth to a strong lumber industry. Capt. Hardy named the town Hattiesburg after his wife Hattie.
However in more recent times, Hattiesburg has earned the moniker of the "Hub" due to is location on the crossroads of the major rail lines connecting the cities of Jackson, Meridian, Mobile, Gulfport, New Orleans and Natchez.
Hattiesburg has lived the life of a humble and average American town. It grew on the lumber business, but now has a mixture of industries. It is also the home to the University of Southern Mississippi.
Ever slow growing, Hattiesburg is still a relatively common and average American town. Comfortable enough, but nothing terribly special. Just a few miles south is Camp Shelby, the largest reserve component training site in the country.
Also, particularly after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, the city has witnessed a growth of about 15,000 people who left the coastal areas of Biloxi and New Orleans.
Having worked in Biloxi for many weeks, I come up to Hattiesburg on weekends to explore the area.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my USA Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:The historic center is small and even has a self-walk tour.
- Cons:When businesses close, the center become quiet.
- In a nutshell:A historic walk back into time with a colonial feel to it.
The historic district of Hattiesburg is not very large. If you stop by the Visitor's Center and get both a walking map... more travel advice
I have visited museums in lots of different corners of the globe. I have many military in my family and throughout all... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Hattiesburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Hub"
- "Basaic Hattiesburg Page"
- "dbumpers25's new Hattiesburg Page"
- "Passing through"
- "Hot, hot and more hot!"
- "My home in Hattiesburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hattiesburg
- Hotels in Hattiesburg
- Nightlife in Hattiesburg
- Restaurants in Hattiesburg
- Shopping in Hattiesburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Hattiesburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hattiesburg
- 8 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Hattiesburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hattiesburg
Photos in HattiesburgSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Hattiesburg hotel reviews
- Best Western Northgate Inn
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Cabot Lodge Hattiesburg
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 27, 2006
- Howard Johnson Express Inn - Hattiesburg
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Microtel Inn & Suites Hattiesburg
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Econo Lodge - Hattiesburg / Highway 49 N.
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Super 8 Hattiesburg
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 30, 2013