"Impressions of Turkey" Turkey by DSwede
Turkey Travel Guide: 24,319 reviews and 69,494 photos
I lived and worked in Bursa for about 9 months. I did a fairly extensive amount of traveling with Turkey and generally found the people wonderfully inviting and loved my stay. Here's a few random thoughts about Turkey as a whole. Check out my individual pages for comments on specific destinations.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Turkey Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
I lived for many months in Bursa. Using it as a base camp, I explored around to:
Istanbul - Thriving city of modern and ancient life, straddling the Bosporus.
Ankara - Capital city in the central country.
Kas - Southern get away spot
Gemlik - Quaint fishing village south of the Marmaras from Istanbul
Iznik - Ancient walls still encapsulate much of the city on the lake
Troy - Ancient site of Truva/Troy where the infamous lover's fate doomed the city
Assos - Greek site on top of the cliffs, overlooking the sea to the south
Ortakoy - One of my favorite neighborhoods of Istanbul
Cappadokia/Nevsehir/Goreme - Full of underground cities and folklore (and the infamous siting of me having to dance with the belly dancer!)
& many other places in between.
People customarily shake hands, but for both men and women, if they know each other they may kiss both cheeks.
Posted signs and road markings are merely recommendations. People are courteous everywhere except on the road, but they expect that everyone drives aggressively and pays no attention to others. Flashing of high beams is customary sign of "I'm here" or "I'm coming" either way, "get out of my way". Police have a bad reputation of being lazy and of being corrupt. Streets do not commonly have recognizable signs, and most intersections simply point to the cities or town at the other end. Therefore, almost all roads in Turkey go to Istanbul, Ankara or Izmir.
Tipping: Tips are included in the bill. If you tip, just round the bill to the next even amount or for a good meal a couple lira more
A little language help: Check out a good English-Turkish dictionary. It has helpful pronunciation guides for the vowels too:
Here's a few helpful words:
Tesekkur Ederium - Thank you
Bay - guy (ex Bay = guy, but Dave-bay = Mr. Dave --> its impolite to use this with the last name)
Bayan - girl (same usage as Bay)
Gunaydin - Good morning
Afiyet Olsun - good appetite (often said after meal, actually more of a wish that the meal give you enough to reach the next one)
Dur - stop
Bir - one
On - ten
Sol - left
Sag - right
Su - water
Sut - milk
Iyi gun - good day
Nasilsiniz? - how are you?
- Pros:Many of my anecdotes have to do with the kind and helpful nature of the people.
- Cons:Distances between destinations can be quite far. Most people underestimate this, so plan travel time into your itinerary.
- In a nutshell:With so much diversification, a week minimum is required on each corner of the country.
Turkey uses 230V, 50Hz Typical outlet will be the 2-pin outlet with side grounding: http://kropla.com/!f.htm This will... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Turkey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Turkey - a travell from east to west"
- "My Turkey - real and virtual"
- "DID YOU KNOW THAT ?"
- "Turkey's Magnificent Riviera"
- "Travels in Turkey"
- "Turkey: Spans Both Europe and Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Turkey
- Hotels in Turkey
- Transportation in Turkey
- Nightlife in Turkey
- Restaurants in Turkey
- Shopping in Turkey
- Warnings and Dangers in Turkey
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Turkey
- 30 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 68 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Turkey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turkey
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Niterói Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (78)
Top Turkey hotels
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7623 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Antalya Hotels
- 734 Reviews - 2038 Photos
- Marmaris Hotels
- 622 Reviews - 1132 Photos
- Bodrum Hotels
- 705 Reviews - 1641 Photos
- Kusadasi Hotels
- 306 Reviews - 836 Photos
- Belek Hotels
- 57 Reviews - 166 Photos
- Icmeler Hotels
- 233 Reviews - 451 Photos
- Side Hotels
- 141 Reviews - 358 Photos
- Fethiye Hotels
- 352 Reviews - 875 Photos
- Pamukkale Hotels
- 270 Reviews - 953 Photos
- Alanya Hotels
- 423 Reviews - 901 Photos
- Izmir Hotels
- 453 Reviews - 1275 Photos
- Kemer Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 168 Photos
- Hisaronu Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 56 Photos
- Kalkan Hotels
- 149 Reviews - 378 Photos