"Transplanted to Chicago" Chicago by DSwede
Chicago Travel Guide: 5,951 reviews and 12,229 photos
My home is listed as Incline Village, but I'm employed in Chicago (Des Plaines more specifically). However, since I have neither a house, apartment, nor address in either, I maintain that Tahoe is my home since that's where my heart is.
After graduating college, I moved to Chicago not knowing a soul there. On a student's budget, I could barely afford my lodging let alone a social life... so what did I do? I took my dog to the park, every day, all day.
Doing so, I met some wonderful animal lovers and sports players. I was invited to play and through soccer and other sports, networked until I knew hundreds of people and could easily call Chicago my home.
Chicago is a great city for outdoor recreation, with parks, a multitude of sports and social organizations.
Chicago is also a wonderful mix of everything. There's Hispanics, Muslims, Asians, Americans, Europeans (many eastern); there's culture, there's foods of all types; neighborhoods ranging from the slums to the posh elite; there's early risers going out for jogs in the rising sun, as well as night owls who are just wondering home from the night before passing those joggers on the corner... what ever you want, Chicago has it.
Except for a few things that you don't want... like traffic, some inflated costs and cold winters.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my USA Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
Chicago was also the second chance for me to meet some fellow VT'rs and get to know some of the personal side of the Second City.
- Pros:Great parks and green spaces are found in abundance.
- Cons:Travel to the outer suburbs on public transit can be difficult and traffic slow.
- In a nutshell:Steeped with history and various neighborhoods, it would take ages to see everyting.
I was directed here by a friend who lives no less than 30 seconds down the street, but unfortunately lives in an... more travel advice
I had walked by this place many times and always saw a good crowd and atmosphere, but I have to admit it took a while to... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Chicago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place I call home"
- "Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
- "Never A Lovely So Real"
- "Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
- "Sweet Home Chicago!"
- "Chicago - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chicago
- Hotels in Chicago
- Transportation in Chicago
- Nightlife in Chicago
- Restaurants in Chicago
- Shopping in Chicago
- Warnings and Dangers in Chicago
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chicago
- 14 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 82 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (165)
Have you been to Chicago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chicago
- Posted in Travel South Lake Tahoe Forum "Re: Where to stay in South Lake..."
- Commented on one of Dabs's Chicago tips
- Wrote a Review Hip Boutique Hotel in the Center in Chicago Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great hotel and staff, near central location"
- updated a Chicago Travel Page "Transplanted to Chicago"
Photos in ChicagoSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos