"Transplanted to Chicago" Chicago by DSwede

Chicago Travel Guide: 5,908 reviews and 12,104 photos

Home and base camp for 8 years

My home is listed as Incline Village, but I'm employed in Chicago (Des Plaines more specifically). However, since I have neither a house, apartment, nor address in either, I maintain that Tahoe is my home since that's where my heart is.

After graduating college, I moved to Chicago not knowing a soul there. On a student's budget, I could barely afford my lodging let alone a social life... so what did I do? I took my dog to the park, every day, all day.

Doing so, I met some wonderful animal lovers and sports players. I was invited to play and through soccer and other sports, networked until I knew hundreds of people and could easily call Chicago my home.

Chicago is a great city for outdoor recreation, with parks, a multitude of sports and social organizations.

Chicago is also a wonderful mix of everything. There's Hispanics, Muslims, Asians, Americans, Europeans (many eastern); there's culture, there's foods of all types; neighborhoods ranging from the slums to the posh elite; there's early risers going out for jogs in the rising sun, as well as night owls who are just wondering home from the night before passing those joggers on the corner... what ever you want, Chicago has it.

Except for a few things that you don't want... like traffic, some inflated costs and cold winters.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my USA Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

Chicago was also the second chance for me to meet some fellow VT'rs and get to know some of the personal side of the Second City.

• Pros:Great parks and green spaces are found in abundance.
  • Cons:Travel to the outer suburbs on public transit can be difficult and traffic slow.
  • In a nutshell:Steeped with history and various neighborhoods, it would take ages to see everyting.
  • Intro Updated Apr 20, 2011

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Hard to decide between the Cuban Food and the seafood.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I haven't been to any of your restaurant suggestions although I almost ate at 90 Mile one day but decided to go to Caffe Laguardia instead :-) Kuma's is on my list, but oh do I hate waiting in line to eat....

• Sassafrasskass's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Thinking of doing the Amtrak from Michigan to Chicago this summer! Any pointers for a quick weekend trip?! -Kass

• May 21, 2010 at 12:39 AM

waow u have made page very beautiful.and i likd alooooot the very first pic on ur HP...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM

For my first year on VirtualTourist my motto was: "It's a beautiful day in Chicago!"

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Never been to Chicago proper, only through O'Hare--love to visit this town someday. The way you went about meeting people was pure genius!

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2009 at 8:20 PM

"Chicago, Chicago...that toddling town"=She's the Spiritual Fairy showing the 8 dynamics of Life, with the 9th hidden behind her. ~

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Bring back memories of great restaurants and pizzas of Chicago :)

• May 10, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Will be in Chicago for a few hours in the afternoon/evening on May 20 - still around?

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Hi Dave, I could live with that graffiti.

DSwede Visits Here Frequently!

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Chicago

Have you been to Chicago?

Latest Activity in Chicago