"Sunny Capital in the Paradise State" Honolulu by DSwede
Honolulu Travel Guide: 2,017 reviews and 4,836 photos
Honolulu, on the island of Oahu, is the busiest place in the Pacific. And even with saying that, it is still relatively laid back and quiet.
The islands have seen their fair share of historic landmark events, but arguably the most infamous was the bombing of Pearl Harbor just outside of Honolulu. But the other events leading to that point in history are just as important. The area’s history involves lots of battling islands, tribal monarchies, gods of the volcanoes and all other things under the sky, European explorers and their influences, as well as waves of immigrants from many various countries.
Today, most visitors will busy themselves in Waikiki, playing on the beaches and shopping in the arcades. Also, the Pearl Harbor Memorials and the US Army Museum are very well presented, emotionally charged and important to many others, they are both free.
I have walked the city and beachfront from Fisherman’s Wharf all the way past Waikiki. The city has pockets of residential, areas of resorts, centers of commercial businesses, etc. It is a resort and a city all rolled into one.
On my most recent visit, I had a 12-hour layover from 7am~7pm. In that time, I was able to visit the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, walk the waterfront, visit the free US Army Museum, visit Chinatown and even managed time for a beer and a bite.
Feel free to visit some of my other pages on Hawaii, spreading over a couple year's worth of trips over many of the islands.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my USA Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Easy to walk due to its size and being flat.
- Cons:The area of Waikiki is very dense with tourists
- In a nutshell:Tourist mecca and commercial hub all in one
Hawaii as a whole is a very environmentally friendly state and Honolulu is no exception. The processing of waste and... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Honolulu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Living in Honolulu"
- "Home Away From Home"
- "THE REAL HAWAII IS HONOLULU"
- "Waikiki - Number one attraction!"
- "December 7 1941, A Date That Will Live In Infamy."
- "The family in Hawaii for 6 months"
- "Hawaiian Sunsets."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Honolulu
- Hotels in Honolulu
- Transportation in Honolulu
- Nightlife in Honolulu
- Restaurants in Honolulu
- Shopping in Honolulu
- Warnings and Dangers in Honolulu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Honolulu
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (165)
Have you been to Honolulu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Honolulu
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos