"The mouth of Tahoe" Tahoe City by DSwede
Tahoe City Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 209 photos
When you are reading through some of the Tips on Tahoe City, please note that many are writing for the entire Tahoe area, because much of what people wrote about is not actually in Tahoe City. It can be confusing to many people reading about skiing Heavenly Valley as a Tahoe City thing to do, while it is actually more than 30 miles away, and not always passable depending on weather/season.
Also, you are 30 miles from the Nevada boarder of South Lake Tahoe, so the nearest casinos may not be that convenient to visit without spending the night (things like winter road conditions and drinking can greatly affect the drive). The Northern shore's boarder near Kings Beach and Incline Village is closer, but a bit quieter.
Growing up on the North Shore, I've spent ample time in Tahoe City. There's ample cross country skiing, alpine skiing, rafting, hiking, shopping, etc. It is a more tourist-friendly town.
Tahoe City is home of the Fanny Bridge (that's what you see when everyone is leaning over looking at the river below).
It is also the beginning of the only outlet of Lake Tahoe, regulated by the dam since 1910. It is also the historic end of the Truckee-Tahoe Railroad (constructed 1879~1899) that went the 15 miles between downtown Truckee and Tahoe City.
Check out some Tahoe Facts and Stats.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my USA Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Nearly all places are within walking distance of the lake shore.
- Cons:The town is spread quite far along the coast, so it might be a long walk.
- In a nutshell:Its a good place for skiing options as other mountain sports.
Tahoe City is the beginning of the Truckee River. There are over 63 inlets that feed Tahoe, but only one river that... more travel advice
The one and only outlet of Lake Tahoe is the Truckee river. Even though you can only go rafting in certain sections and... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Tahoe City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tahoe City, California"
- "Tahoe City"
- "North Shore Splendour"
- "Lake Tahoe: A Place for Summer and Winter Fun!"
- "North Shore Lake Tahoe- Under Construction- Check"
- "The mouth of Tahoe"
- "Lake Tahoe by a Family That Lives There"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tahoe City
- Hotels in Tahoe City
- Transportation in Tahoe City
- Nightlife in Tahoe City
- Restaurants in Tahoe City
- Shopping in Tahoe City
- Warnings and Dangers in Tahoe City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tahoe City
- 7 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Tahoe City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tahoe City
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos