"A little history on Ploiesti" Top 5 Page for this destination Ploiesti by DSwede
Ploiesti Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 52 photos
Ploiesti is one of the larger cities of Romania, and can claim among other things to be the birth place of gasoline/petrol industry for Europe. Ploeisti is not as developed as Bucharesti, but is not far behind.
Part of the reason that Ploeisti still requires improvements, besides the local economic situation, is because the city was nearly destroyed in WWII. The town of Campina, which is just to the north, has the world?s oldest commercial petroleum refinery, and Ploiesti took suit and became one of the worlds largest and advanced refinery areas. The Germans sought to control this area in order to have fuel to drive their army. The Allies knew this and therefore relentlessly bombed and air-raided the city. It was the furthest south bombing run that the Allies performed because this city was the longest run the planes could make from their bases without running out of fuel.
I lived here in Ploiesti for several months, and used this a base camp to explore the areas. Brasov, Bran, Sinaia, Busteni and Bucharesti are relatively close. I made a few longer road trips to go out and see Constansta, Hunedoara, Sighisoara and Slanic.
- Pros:Central location makes for day trips quite possible.
- Cons:You may run out of things to do in a couple of days.
- In a nutshell:A blue collar city, with a long rich history and some of the more educated population.
There are many places in the city, but the Gallery is a main street store front with art of various types and home... more travel advice
I lived in Ploiesti for over 4 months, and before that I visited several times. I stayed in 6 or 7 different hotels in... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Ploiesti Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A little history on Ploiesti"
- "Welcome to Ploiesti!"
- "Oil Refinery Town!!!"
- "romania in a nutshell"
- "avdb1948's new Ploiesti Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ploiesti
- Hotels in Ploiesti
- Nightlife in Ploiesti
- Restaurants in Ploiesti
- Shopping in Ploiesti
- Warnings and Dangers in Ploiesti
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ploiesti
- 7 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (164)
Have you been to Ploiesti?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ploiesti
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 28 reviews, 21 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos