"Land of volcanos, beaches, Catholicism and smiles" Philippines by DSwede
Philippines Travel Guide: 23,735 reviews and 78,890 photos
The Philippines was one of the more recent chapters in my travels around Asia. I've been to and seen a lot in this side of the world, but for some unknown reason the Philippines had always eluded me.
But thankfully I had the perfect excuse... I was working in Korea, and had to leave to renew my Visa. I was granted the balance of last years vacation and somehow managed to get my company to pay for my ticket...
My sister and I had not seen each other in a long time, so thought we should travel together. She had never been to Asia and wanted to go someplace warm since she was tired of digging her house out of the snow in Lake Tahoe. I thought that the Philippines would do the trick... warm, and a new destination for both of us. So half way around the globe, we both met in Manila to begin our adventures.
So we headed to the Asian country where more English is spoken except for maybe Hong Kong and the majority of people are Christian (and more specifically Catholic)... the easiest gateway for my sister to be introduced to Asia.
All in all, we visited the city areas of Manila using taxis, horse carriages, tricycles and our own feet. Afterward we traveled via bus, tricycle, banca, horseback and foot to Tagaytay to see Taal Lake and volcano.
Then we traveled by plane down to the island of Palawan to Puerto Princesa. Traveling over land via jeepney, tricycle, van and foot we bounced our way up through Sabang (for the Underground River), Roxas and El Nido.
Ultimately we then explored Busuanga Island, the town of Coron, and the many Japanese WWII wrecks again using a combination of jeepneys, tricycles, bancas and foot.
We had a wonderful adventure. Using more modes of transit than I knew were possible, seeing more beaches and private lagoons that I knew existed, and hearing the calls of more roosters than I though bearable....
The people of the Philippines, while possibly the shortest people on the globe (lol), are very long in kindness and friendliness.
Once you get past the taxi drivers and occasional hustlers in the city who try to separate you from your money, the people are wonderfully kind and overflowing with smiles.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Philippine Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:One of the easiest Asian countries for westerners to feel comfortable in (language, food, religion, etc.)
- Cons:Distances between destinations can be quite far. Most people underestimate this, so plan travel time into your itinerary.
- In a nutshell:With so much diversification, a week minimum is required on each island.
DSwede's Related Pages
Philippines Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Philippines: The Fiesta Islands of Asia"
- "Tierra Adorada, Hija Del Sol De Oriente..."
- "My Country Home"
- "Over 7000 Islands!! Have Fun"
- "Beautiful Philippines Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Philippines
- Hotels in Philippines
- Transportation in Philippines
- Nightlife in Philippines
- Restaurants in Philippines
- Shopping in Philippines
- Warnings and Dangers in Philippines
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Philippines
- 30 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 135 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Philippines?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Philippines
- Posted in Travel Tanjungpinang Forum "Re: Papua/Raja Ampat from Tanjung..."
- updated a Philippines Travelogue "Modes of Transit in Philippines"
- Wrote a Review Adaptor plugs in Philippines in Philippines Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Modes of Transit in Philippines"
- Commented on one of SLLiew's Philippines travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Niterói Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (78)
Top Philippines hotels
- Manila Hotels
- 1909 Reviews - 4475 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Boracay Island Hotels
- 1619 Reviews - 4460 Photos
- Tagaytay Hotels
- 262 Reviews - 863 Photos
- Subic Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 870 Photos
- Cebu City Hotels
- 486 Reviews - 1429 Photos
- Quezon City Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 124 Photos
- Makati Hotels
- 518 Reviews - 2059 Photos
- Puerto Galera Hotels
- 361 Reviews - 916 Photos
- Pagudpud Hotels
- 412 Reviews - 1111 Photos
- Vigan Hotels
- 417 Reviews - 1221 Photos
- Cebu Island Hotels
- 159 Reviews - 433 Photos
- Bohol Hotels
- 489 Reviews - 1571 Photos
- Davao Hotels
- 244 Reviews - 803 Photos
- Puerto Princesa Hotels
- 216 Reviews - 461 Photos