"The Grandest Walled City" Valletta by DSwede
Valletta Travel Guide: 706 reviews and 1,810 photos
The capital city of Valletta is in a class of its own. The meandering coast line gives the area many coves and peninsulas, the majority of which have their own fortifications both towards the open water and to the dry land. The largest of these makes up the central area of Valletta. The undulating streets with projecting balconies give the town a unique feeling.
While the city has old roots as a military installation, some of which are proudly displayed like the firing of the Noon Day Cannon, the Siege Bell Memorial and the other forts, the town is now typically under siege by unquantifiable numbers of cruise ship visitors.
With good timing, you can see the fortresses, the exceptional engraved gravestones of St John’s Co-Cathedral and many of the other sites without delay or lines. Miss your window by a few minutes and you might be fighting with an entire cruise ship’s day tours.
For thoughts on my overall time here, feel free to visit my Malta page.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Malta Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:The old ramparts and citadel are in excellent condition with great views.
- Cons:Within the city, transit is limited; and with the hills, it is not easy for people with mobility problems.
- In a nutshell:Steeped with history and hidden gems, it would take ages to see everyting.
(as posted to a forum question...) While you could probably spend more time there, I'd say your 14yr son would max out... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Valletta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Valletta - The Fortified City"
- "Fortified Valletta - Malta's Capital"
- "Small but beautiful."
- "Valletta - Malta's Capital City"
- "Valletta - The capital city of Malta"
- "Fantastic Fortress City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valletta
- Hotels in Valletta
- Transportation in Valletta
- Nightlife in Valletta
- Restaurants in Valletta
- Shopping in Valletta
- Warnings and Dangers in Valletta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Valletta
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (161)
Have you been to Valletta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valletta
Photos in VallettaSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos