"Diamonds and Fashion in the Old City" Antwerp by DSwede
Antwerp Travel Guide: 2,906 reviews and 7,194 photos
Antwerp has for a long time been a main hub in the diamond trade. Approximately 80% of the world’s diamonds come through Antwerp at some time to either be cut, appraised, traded or sold.
Also, since the 1980’s Antwerp has been in the spot light as a fashion city. Its main streets and pedestrian ways have no shortage of fashion stores and boutiques.
But aside from those trendy draws that may take all of your money, Antwerp is also a more budget friendly historic city. It sits right on the Scheldt River, which long ago had a canal dredged around the city wall fortifications, completely encompassing the citadel. Before the wall was demolished to construct some roadways, it was the largest fortified city in Europe.
The old cobble stone streets that wind around the compact historic center have copious amounts of above-ground tram tracks. These tracks are just about everywhere and sometimes even go through plazas, splitting the tables of the outdoor cafes.
- Pros:Easy to walk due to its size and being flat.
- Cons:Even the summers have rain.
- In a nutshell:Small castle, huge cathedral and lots of shopping
I walked and drove by this place many times, always thinking to myself that it looked like a good place. I called some... more travel advice
We walked all over scouting Chinese and Japanese restaurants. Moshi Moshi had good prices and from the window appeared... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Antwerp Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Drink the Elixir!"
- "Antwerp and area, viewed through the camera"
- "The biggest city of Flanders"
- "Pampered in Antwerp and a Bangelijke meeting :)"
- "'t Stad: My Antwerp"
- "More impressions of Antwerp"
- "VT meetings and pubcrawls in Antwerp"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antwerp
- Hotels in Antwerp
- Transportation in Antwerp
- Nightlife in Antwerp
- Restaurants in Antwerp
- Shopping in Antwerp
- Warnings and Dangers in Antwerp
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antwerp
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (165)
Have you been to Antwerp?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antwerp
- Posted in Travel Oklahoma Forum "Re: Is I-35 still partially closed?"
- Wrote a Review Best Bars to Sample Wide Ranges of Beers in Antwerp Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "Decent, Cheap Middle Eastern"
- updated a Antwerp Travel Page "Diamonds and Fashion in the Old City"
- Commented on one of Madoka's Antwerp travel pages
Photos in AntwerpSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos