"Wonders at every turn" Mexico by DSwede
Mexico Travel Guide: 20,735 reviews and 48,676 photos
I've been to Mexico several times, both before an after I was able to speak any Spanish at all. Now that I can, I must admit that my time is more enjoyable and I've had better times mingling with the locals and experiencing the culture and random corners.
Mexico is multifaceted. There's a little of everything, deserts to the north, great white sharks off the coasts of Isla Guadalupe, ancient ruins littered in the jungles, there's resorts along the Pacific coast, indigenous villages all over the hills...
The food too is rich and varied, more grilled and spicy in the north. More sauces and savory in the south. The people too are as varied as the landscapes, but in general they are all friendly. But even though they are friendly, you should still be cautious at night and in many neighborhoods.
Akumal & Xel-ha - Fantastic Mayan ruins and crystal clear lagoons
Puerto Vallarta - Mountainous retreat on the Pacific Coast
Cancun - Tourist epicenter on the Yukitan
Tulum - Large Mayan ruins to the south of Cancun
Cozumel - The island sister to Cancun, a holiday destination
Madero - A working city with industrial complexes
Nuevo Larado - Border town to Texas
Tampico - Another working city on the central Gulf coast.
Relatively recently, I went swimming with the great white sharks outside of Ensenada, in the waters off of Isla Guadalupe.
Most recently, I was working for a few months in the Veracruz state, so had the opportunity to visit:
Coatzacoalcos - Coastal town more known for its chemical industry
Palenque - Impressive Mayan ruins in the mountains of Chiapas & the cascades of Misol Ha
Villahermosa - An oil and gas town on ancient Olmec soil
Agua Azul - Wide rolling cascades of blue water
La Venta - Ancient Olmec city in the plains of Veracruz state
Catazajá - Quiet rest stop east of Villahermosa
San Cristobal de las Casas - Picturesque old mountain village
Xalapa - Another old mountain town with some good character
Jalcomulco - Small village in Veracruz, good for rafting and hiking
Yaxchilan - Wonderful remote ruins on the river border of Guatemala
Bonampak - modest ruins with wonderful colored murals
Tuxtla Gutierrez - The big city hub of Chiapas
Comitan - Small old southern town and close to Cataratas de Chiflon
Catemaco - Mountain town on a lake, famous for witches
Minatitlan - First oil capital of Mexico
Oaxaca - Fresh air, good food and old history in the high mountains
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Mexico Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Wonderful food and friendly people
- Cons:Petty theft and nightime safety are always a concern
- In a nutshell:A large and varied land, with a little of everything
Driving in Mexico can be fun, but also requires a fair amount of concentration. You will have to dodge lots of unmarked... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Mexico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mexican medley"
- "TIPS FOR TRAVELERS TO MEXICO"
- "LA MAGIA DE MEXICO"
- "Mexico for cultural explorers"
- "A week in Banderas Bay"
- "La Venta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mexico
- Hotels in Mexico
- Transportation in Mexico
- Nightlife in Mexico
- Restaurants in Mexico
- Shopping in Mexico
- Warnings and Dangers in Mexico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mexico
- 71 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 17 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Mexico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mexico
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Niterói Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Mexico hotels
- Cancún Hotels
- 1928 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 774 Reviews - 1734 Photos
- Cabo San Lucas Hotels
- 714 Reviews - 1256 Photos
- Puerto Vallarta Hotels
- 1126 Reviews - 1909 Photos
- San José del Cabo Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 118 Photos
- Mexico City Hotels
- 2111 Reviews - 4387 Photos
- Akumal Hotels
- 71 Reviews - 146 Photos
- Acapulco Hotels
- 361 Reviews - 692 Photos
- Puerto Morelos Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 12 Photos
- Tijuana Hotels
- 640 Reviews - 1027 Photos
- Puerto Peñasco Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 303 Photos
- Tulum Hotels
- 450 Reviews - 1320 Photos
- Manzanillo Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Mazatlán Hotels
- 468 Reviews - 777 Photos
- Ensenada Hotels
- 290 Reviews - 632 Photos