"Home in the Great Basin" Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada by DSwede
Nevada Travel Guide: 10,308 reviews and 22,212 photos
Nevada is a huge, desolate, beautiful region. There are deserts, high snow capped mountains, wild animals from bears to cougars to the infamous rattlesnake. If you are lucky, you will even spot the state's official animal, the Desert Bighorn Sheep.
NV is 7th largest state measuring 286,350 sq km, with a population of 2.1M. The vast majority of which live in the greater Las Vegas area. For those Australians reading this, that means it is slightly larger than Victoria. For Europeans, that means that it is about 7x larger than Switzerland or 80% the size of Germany. For others, it is just a hair larger than New Zealand.
The silver, logging and mining industries have created some thriving areas, as well as some remote ghost towns. The Pony Express as well as many stagecoach routes passed through the remote expanses.
In my opinion, there are few places that are as varied as Nevada. (for more pictures, feel free to visit my USA Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
Nevada was once the bottom of ancient Lake Lahontan. This lake was a huge sea that covered all the lands from the Sierras on the west to the Rockies on the east.
There are a few things that still remind us of the ancient lake in the days of the Ice Age. Icthyosaurus State Park (~23 miles east of Gabbs, NV) is reported to have the largest collection of aquatic fossils in the world.
The great sinks of the Salt Flats, Pyramid Lake, and the Carson sink show where the water that falls in the Great Basin will never reach the oceans.
There are countless Indian areas and parks. The Valley of Fire and Mojave are littered with connections to the prehistoric.
Then there is Area 51 and HW375 which skips from the prehistoric to the futuristic. Alien cafes, hotels and testimonials are abundant in the south!
Cathedral Gorge and the canyon lands seem to go on forever. Then there is the Grand Canyon, which does go on for ever.
There are countless hunting ranges too, like the Ruby Mountains for elk and deer. There are countless 4x4 excursions to be had too.
US-50 is often sited as being the "Loneliest Road in America". But in reality, US-6 is the real "Loneliest Road", crossing Nevada's expanse from Montgomery Pass CA to Baker and Great Basin National Park at the Utah line. In those 297 miles of open spaces there are only three towns of more than 100 people, Baker, Tonopah and Ely. Most days you'll have the road to yourself.
In the vastness that is Nevada, there is a little of everything:
The wonderfully beautiful area of Lake Tahoe.
The mini-Vegas of Reno.
The capital seat of Carson City.
The silver mining boom town of Virginia City.
Living ghost towns like Austin.
Real ghost towns like Aurora (outside of Hawthorne).
Little forgotten towns like Verdi.
The home of Top Gun, Fallon.
Check out my travelogue for some photos of the real rural Nevada, which for those of you who don't know is not the Strip in Las Vegas...
Or for those more interested in off road stuff, check out my 4x4 in NV travelogue.
Unfortunately I do not have many pictures of my visits to the eastern side of the state, but hope to add to my collection soon.
- Pros:A nature lover's dream, every type of terrain exists in easy reach.
- Cons:Long desolate roads can be lonely and require precautions.
- In a nutshell:With so much diversification, a week minimum is required in each corner.
I know this photo is not the best quality, but it just goes to show you that Nevada might be desolate, but it is full of... more travel advice
UPDATE: Some vandals cut this tree down (Dec 2010)! ~~~~~~~~~ People have been throwing their shoes and boots in a... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Nevada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Big Bold Beautiful Country"
- "Carson Valley 2003"
- "GEMS BEYOND THE STRIP"
- "Home in the Great Basin"
- "NEVADA: Awesome Landscapes"
- "Sneaking into Nevada under cover of darkness!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nevada
- Hotels in Nevada
- Transportation in Nevada
- Nightlife in Nevada
- Restaurants in Nevada
- Shopping in Nevada
- Warnings and Dangers in Nevada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nevada
- 47 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 48 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Nevada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nevada
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue