"Convent of Meritxell" Meritxell by DSwede
Meritxell Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 4 photos
Truly a unique find!! This convent is 0.5~1km south of the town of Canillo.
The backdrop of the mountains is magnificent. The architectural style of having many open archways and doorways with no roofs adds to the feeling of grandeur and intimacy with nature.
Free entry to all, but you must observe posted visiting hours.
For more general comments, feel free to see my Andorra page.
"One 6 January in the late 12th century, villagers from Meritxell, Andorra were going to Mass in Canillo. Though it was winter, they found a wild rose in bloom by the roadside. At its based was a statue of the Virgin and Child. They placed the statue in a chapel in the church in Canillo. The next day the statue was found sitting under the wild rose again. Villagers from Encamp took the statue to their church, but the next day the statue had returned to the rose bush. Though it was snowing, an area the size of a chapel was completely bare, and the villagers of Meritxell took this to mean that they should build a chapel to house the statue. On 8-9 September 1972 the chapel burned down and the statue was destroyed; a copy sits in the new Meritxell Chapel." [taken from www.catholic-forum.com]
DSwede's Related Pages
Meritxell Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Meritxell
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Meritxell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meritxell
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Niterói Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue