"Gateway to the Pilar of Hercules" La Línea de la Concepción by DSwede

I'm like most others here, I passed through La Linea on my way to Gibraltar. Since the inflated costs and English pounds were going to suck our wallets dry, we opted to stay at a more economic hostel in La Linea.

65 pounds to stay in Gibraltar at a youth hostel, verses 55 Eur to stay in La Linea... that's an easy decision.

Since 1704, Spain and Britain have fought for control of The Rock. Since it was in important naval port, neither wanted to relinquish their claims. However the British ultimately claimed victory.

Relations have not always been amicable. Several battles and hard times have occurred during the centuries. The border was completely closed from 1969 to 1982. Thankfully border restrictions were lifted in 1985.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Spain Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

• Pros:Much cheaper than on the Gibraltar side, hotels, parking, meals, etc.
  • Cons:Traffic can back up from the border for quite a while, particularly during rush hour.
  • In a nutshell:Its the quiet brother to the Rock, with not a lot of particular draws of its own.
  • Intro Updated Mar 13, 2012

Comments

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in La Línea de la Concepción

Have you been to La Línea de la Concepción?

Photos in La Línea de la Concepción