"Extranero en Tarragona (+2 years)" Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona by DSwede
Tarragona Travel Guide: 351 reviews and 878 photos
The first time I worked in Tarragona, I stayed in Barcelona for the first few weeks and made the commute to Tarragona each day. I ultimately worked and lived in Tarragona for about a year, but made several return visits to see friends in the area and also for other work assignments.
The most recent time I worked here, I stayed again for nearly a year. And similar to last time, lived in Barcelona for a few months in order to simplify my multiple commutes depending on the day, some north some south. But as always, I've visited again, even after my last assignment there.
Tarragona's ancient name was Tarraco, which was the Roman capital of Spain, so when you walk around the old part of town, you are really walking around the OLD part of town.
My first time here (2003) was supposedly the hottest summer in the last couple of decades. OK, Spain gets hot, but it has been above 100F (38C) at my job site for over 7 weeks straight and no rain in ~80 days. I'd say that on average only 1/3 of the people here have A/C, and this area is known for its heat. But one thing is nice, your laundry dries in less than 10 minutes.
Living in Tarragona, I used this as a base camp to visit Prades, the nearby Cambrils and Salou, Sitges; and even a train journey to Granada and Sevilla. I even got out to run with the bulls in Pamplona. On one assignment in '03 I also made it to the mountains to see Le Tour de France as it came through the Spanish town of Bosost. Also toured many places of Catalunia, from nearby Monastery de Poblet to Andorra. For all places within easy reach of Tarragona and some of my general thoughts of Spain, check here.
For more general comments on Spain, visit my Spain page.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Spain Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
Third week in September (~9/14 ~ 9/24) - This week in Tarragona is filled with festivities to honor Santa Tecla, the local saint. Not that they need any other excuses to stay up late with loud music or fireworks, but now they add the extras of road closures, parades and street performances. Most of it was pretty good, but after 10 days you just want the 6am concerts to stop. Regardless, this is the time when they have the contest of the Castellers, or the human tours, which is famous in Tarragona.
But other times of the year, Tarragona makes room for the Castellers. It is a unique event in Catalunia, centered in Tarragona, to watch the gangs construct towers of people.
- Pros:Easily accessible from Barcelona by a train/bus in about an hour.
- Cons:You may have to speak twice before people change from Catalan to Spanish.
- In a nutshell:Tarragona is much more deserving of a stop than its given credit for, it has a wonderful coastal location and ancient roots.
This rather quiet restaurant is tucked in the quieter streets of the old town. Its serves excellently prepared local... more travel advice
When I originally lived in Tarragona, I walked by this hotel hundreds of times, but never had a need to go in. Later,... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Tarragona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capital of Tarraconensis"
- "Viva Tarragona !"
- "Extranero en Tarragona (+2 years)"
- "Tarragona – major Roman Empire’s colony in Spain"
- "Tarraco, civitas ubi ver aeternum est"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarragona
- Hotels in Tarragona
- Transportation in Tarragona
- Nightlife in Tarragona
- Restaurants in Tarragona
- Shopping in Tarragona
- Warnings and Dangers in Tarragona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarragona
- 25 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Tarragona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarragona
- Posted in Travel Busan Forum "Re: Ferry companies - Need help"
- updated a Tarragona Travel Page "Extranero en Tarragona (+2 years)"
- Wrote a Review Excellent Catalan and excentric foods in Tarragona Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Excellent Catalan and excentric foods"
- Commented on one of La_Holandesa's Tarragona travel pages
Photos in TarragonaSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue