"Wondering in Northern Italy" Italy by DSwede
Italy Travel Guide: 71,668 reviews and 194,733 photos
My first times in Italy were due to a work assignment for about 6 weeks, with instructions to be in Treviso one day of the week (~25km / ~15mi North of Venice), and four days in Ravenna (Adriatic coast, east of Bologna).
Besides my assigned destinations, I was able to take advantage of proximity and visit Verona, Pisa, Florence and the country of San Marino.
However, I have been back a few times since, but mostly returning to the north. I have thankfully be able to visit Rome and the Vatican.
Yes, Italy? difficult assignment? good food, good wine, nice people, good weather. I'm just glad that I was able to make the sacrifice to work there so that nobody else would have to suffer through it.
Where to start? unlike many of my other assignments, I was in Italy for a shorter period of time. I did not get absorbed into their culture as much as other places I have visited, but I can give a few insights:
- Like most of Europe, Italy is steeped in old culture and cities. Italy is littered with ancient walled cities, narrow streets with completely random angles and never a square corner, obscene amounts of Vespas, large mountains, flat farm lands, hilly vineyards, castles on hills and churches, lots of old churches.
- The people are definitely Latin Mediterranean. While they work 40-hour weeks, they are in no hurry to start in the morning, enjoy long lunches with 2~3 plates and wine, and then work until later in the evening.
- Similar to most Latin cultures, their groups of friends hold a deeper familial connection. It can be difficult to 'break into' a new group of friends, but once you are in a circle of friends, it is a very close knit group.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Italy Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Good food, good wine, nice people, good weather.
- Cons:Can be expensive, particularly for those traveling on a tight budget.
- In a nutshell:With history steeped upon history, it would take ages to see everyting.
DSwede's Related Pages
Italy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buongiorno Italia, Ti amo Italia"
- "Italia nel cuore"
- "ITALIA - PREGO!"
- "Italy - awakens passion, life & confidence"
- "Italy wishlist"
- "The Many Faces of Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Italy
- Hotels in Italy
- Transportation in Italy
- Nightlife in Italy
- Restaurants in Italy
- Shopping in Italy
- Warnings and Dangers in Italy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Italy
- 21 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 39 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (165)
Have you been to Italy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Italy
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos