"Wondering in Northern Italy" Italy by DSwede

Italy Travel Guide: 69,758 reviews and 187,271 photos

My first times in Italy were due to a work assignment for about 6 weeks, with instructions to be in Treviso one day of the week (~25km / ~15mi North of Venice), and four days in Ravenna (Adriatic coast, east of Bologna).

Besides my assigned destinations, I was able to take advantage of proximity and visit Verona, Pisa, Florence and the country of San Marino.

However, I have been back a few times since, but mostly returning to the north. I have thankfully be able to visit Rome and the Vatican.

Yes, Italy? difficult assignment? good food, good wine, nice people, good weather. I'm just glad that I was able to make the sacrifice to work there so that nobody else would have to suffer through it.

Where to start? unlike many of my other assignments, I was in Italy for a shorter period of time. I did not get absorbed into their culture as much as other places I have visited, but I can give a few insights:
- Like most of Europe, Italy is steeped in old culture and cities. Italy is littered with ancient walled cities, narrow streets with completely random angles and never a square corner, obscene amounts of Vespas, large mountains, flat farm lands, hilly vineyards, castles on hills and churches, lots of old churches.
- The people are definitely Latin Mediterranean. While they work 40-hour weeks, they are in no hurry to start in the morning, enjoy long lunches with 2~3 plates and wine, and then work until later in the evening.
- Similar to most Latin cultures, their groups of friends hold a deeper familial connection. It can be difficult to 'break into' a new group of friends, but once you are in a circle of friends, it is a very close knit group.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Italy Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

• Pros:Good food, good wine, nice people, good weather.
  • Cons:Can be expensive, particularly for those traveling on a tight budget.
  • In a nutshell:With history steeped upon history, it would take ages to see everyting.
  • Intro Updated May 23, 2011

DSwede Used To Live Here!

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Italy