"Archipelago’s Gateway to the Capital" Vaxholm by DSwede
Vaxholm Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 81 photos
During the early 16th century, King Vasa ordered a military post be made at what is now Vaxholm in order to protect the water corridors leading to Stockholm. If you see the water charts, at that time, there were only three access ways to the capital from the open seas, and they all funneled by Vaxholm. Effective in its intent, no warmongers successfully passed the fortress.
While the bridges that finally connected Vaxholm to the mainland was built in the 1920's, the town still remains small and quiet. Everything can be walked in the matter of a couple hours.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Sweden Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
For some more general thoughts, please visit my Sweden page.
- Pros:Small and rather compact city, can walk everywhere within an hour.
- Cons:Not overly impressed with the service at the restaurants.
- In a nutshell:Views from the ferry and then a leisurely walk around town is a good afternoon.
Vaxholm was still a military installation until 2006, when the military pulled out for good. There were a few small... more travel advice
This is a rather small shop, catering their homemade chocolates and sweets to anyone with a sweet tooth. Prices vary... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Vaxholm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Archipelago’s Gateway to the Capital"
- "Capital of the inner archipelago"
- "Vaxholm in winter"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vaxholm
- Hotels in Vaxholm
- Transportation in Vaxholm
- Nightlife in Vaxholm
- Restaurants in Vaxholm
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vaxholm
- 5 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (165)
Have you been to Vaxholm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vaxholm
Photos in VaxholmSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos