"Built For a Dam" Twizel by DSwede
Twizel Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 96 photos
Twizel was nonexistent before the nearby dam. Twizel was the worker's camp, with modest simple homes going to the families and single men actually living in tents near what is now the golf course.
Twizel has however capitalized on its location close to Mount Cook, offering some of the closest accommodation, supermarkets and restaurants. Although I stayed up at Mount Cook for a few days, I did make it down to Twizel for a visit.
For more details of my time on the island, please feel free to visit my South Island page.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my New Zealand gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:A modest city with a lot of restaurants
- Cons:May be bored unless you bring your own entertainment.
- In a nutshell:A good place to stop and resupply before heading out.
A lot of the locals will walk or ride their bikes along the few paths down the by river. There are also a couple of... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Twizel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hub of the lake district"
- "Twizel - Heart of Mackenzie Basin"
- "Getaway town to Mt Cook area"
- "Built For a Dam"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Twizel
- Hotels in Twizel
- Transportation in Twizel
- Restaurants in Twizel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Twizel
- 3 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (164)
Have you been to Twizel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Twizel
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 28 reviews, 21 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos