"The Iconic Fjord" Geiranger by DSwede
Geiranger Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 474 photos
There is a reason the Geiranger is the most photographed fjord in Norway. It is absolutely beautiful from every angle, from the waterways coming in on the ferry from Hellyslt, from the shoreline of the little tourist town, or all the way up the hairpin roads to high elevation lookouts.
The cruise ships flock here in the summers and the town is all but boarded up for the winter. However in the long sunny summer months, there are tourists everywhere, thankfully for those doing their traveling by land, the majority of the others will have to make their way back to their cruise ships in the afternoons.
The steep sides of the fjord have several waterfalls. One of the most stunning is the Seven Sisters, which as the name would suggest, comes down in a veil of seven parallel falls nearing 250m / 820ft. Nearly as stunning, but more comical is the Frairen (The Suitor) which is on the opposite slope and has apparently been denied by all the sisters.
There are a handful of old farms clutching onto the nigh vertical banks of the fjord. None are still inhabited, but some were up until the 1970's. One has to see how these farms hang on slopes with near vertical sides to truly appreciate the hardship to live there. Some tended sheep, others grew fruit, while all grew their own vegetables. However, some would have to paddle across the fjord every day for potable water. Others apparently had to tether their children to prevent them from falling off the cliffs.
For some more general thoughts, please visit my Norway page.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Norway Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Most photogenic site.
- Cons:The town thrives on the cruise ships, so be wary of the inflated costs and tour groups.
- In a nutshell:The quintessential fjord in Norway, good for however long a time as you have to spare.
Just up the road from the port, the small church sits on the edge of the hill, with a wonderful view of the fjord. The... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Geiranger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The amazing colour of the Geiranger fjord"
- "Geiranger Fjord and the Roof of Norway"
- "Geiranger the irresistible"
- "STEEP MOUNTAINS - MAJESTIC SCENERY"
- "Geiranger - Pearl of the fjords"
- "The most beautiful fjord of Norway"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Geiranger
- Hotels in Geiranger
- Transportation in Geiranger
- Shopping in Geiranger
- Warnings and Dangers in Geiranger
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Geiranger
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Geiranger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geiranger
Photos in GeirangerSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Niterói Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Geiranger hotel reviews
- Villa Utsikten
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2012
- Grande Fjord
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2012
- Geirangerfjorden Feriesenter
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2007
- Union Hotel Geiranger
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Hotel Geiranger
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 5, 2013