"Wonderful Relief Glyphs" Abydos by DSwede
Abydos Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 27 photos
Abydos is renowned for its wonderful relief glyphs. Many have been damaged with sand over the years or the black soot of fires built by armies using the temples as camp sites.
But many have been restored and are quite marvelous.
Worthy of visiting are the Temple of Seti I and the Tomb of Aha.
"Exquisite 19th Dynasty temple built by Seti I and dedicated to 7 Gods, in particular Triad of Osiris, Isis and Horus. Ptah and Amun are also venerated. The temple as among the best quality reliefs in Egypt and good remains of colors. It is also connected to the Osirieon in the back. Abydos is the Border between Upper and Lower Egypt. 73 Meter Altitude. The ancient name of Abydos is Abdju."
I visited Abydos and Egypt twice, both times taking advantage and touring the Nile River from Cairo to Aswan. Abydos is just north of Dendara and the three point stop of Al Karnak, Luxor and Thebes.
- Pros:If you appreciate them, the reliefs are among the best in Egypt.
- Cons:Countless tourist trap gauntlets must be run to escape the area.
- In a nutshell:A mandatory stop if you make it to Egypt for one day.
DSwede's Related Pages
Abydos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Relief Glyphs"
- "Ancient place"
- "Pictures of ......"
- "A Spiritual Tour to Abydos with Caroline Dekker"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Abydos
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (165)
Have you been to Abydos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abydos
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos