"Palau and the Pacific Theater" Koror by DSwede
Koror Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 35 photos
Palau is a relatively small republic of islands with a very strong tie to the United States. It was under US control as a UN Trust Territory for about 30 years. It started working towards independence in the late 70's and finally gained it in the early 90's.
Among the reasons for Palau to be such a close ally with the US is due to its location and role in the Pacific Theater during WW2. Palau was a huge staging area for the Japanese and had many hidden armories as well as bays used to ambush attackers. There are wrecks and remnants of the armories along the shorelines that are being overgrown by the jungles.
Palau is wonderfully beautiful with the small islands dotting the horizon. The islands' jagged edges often give the overhanging cliffs daylight underneath due to water and tidal erosion.
Besides the nice tropical waters and the healthy fish life, there are countless WW2 wrecks to dive on. Blue Corner is a world famous dive site also (see my sports tip). Also a highlight is Jellyfish Lake and Mandarin Fish Lake, both with more information in my tips.
I stayed in the town of Koror for 10 days and took daily 2 or 3 tank diving trips.
Eating lunch on one of many boat rides to remote dive sites, wrecks or beaches. Definately a terrible way to spend your holidays...
- Pros:Jellyfish Lake and Mandarin Fish Lake are unique finds.
- Cons:Tropical rains are unpredictable.
- In a nutshell:The perfect place for a WWII history buff and diver/snorkeler.
There are five West Plaza Hotels in/near Koror. I stayed in the West Plaza Desekel. The amenities are 3-star, but it is... more travel advice
Two words: Blue Corner. type it in any search engine and you'll have thousands of hits. Dive with a reef hook, inflate... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Koror Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Palau and the Pacific Theater"
- "Corner of the world"
- "Rock islands (state of Koror)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Koror
- Hotels in Koror
- Transportation in Koror
- Restaurants in Koror
- Warnings and Dangers in Koror
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Koror
- 10 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Koror?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Koror
Photos in KororSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos