"The Natural Wonders of the South East" Catlins Lake by DSwede
Catlins Lake Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 30 photos
Catlins National Park is a great natural highlight of the Southern Island. Its a vast expanse of various topography, coast line, caves, waterfalls, animals, etc.
Summer has this area teeming with people, but the winter is very quiet. Most of the small establishments are closed so I'd recommend you make sure you have the bare basics that you may need.
For more details of my time on the island, please feel free to visit my South Island page.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my New Zealand gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Seals, penguins and fossils within easy reach.
- Cons:Plan ahead if you come in the winter as most things are closed for the season.
- In a nutshell:If scheduled in the shoulder season to avoid the bulk of travelers, a great place to spend a couple days.
We were passing through the Catlins during the winter. Despite the ubiquitous brochures and information we had, we... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Catlins Lake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Catlins"
- "The Natural Wonders of the South East"
- "In the Catlins June 06"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Catlins Lake
- Hotels in Catlins Lake
- Warnings and Dangers in Catlins Lake
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Catlins Lake
- 3 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Catlins Lake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Catlins Lake
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue