"End of the Silk Road" Top 5 Page for this destination Bursa by DSwede

Bursa Travel Guide: 257 reviews and 646 photos

Bursa is around 2 million people. The city is actually rather long and rectangular, instead of the common circle. The majority of the city is on the side of a mountain, so it traverses much longer than it rises. The city has a long history, dating back to before the Silk Road from Asia, but that is when the city really began to develop. Bursa was the western end of the Great Silk Road, and therefore was a busy trade market of Asians and Europeans.

The city grew on the hill over the centuries mainly to save the lower flat lands for farming. Also, the Turks consider many of the natural springs on the side of the mountain to be extremely therapeutic and medicinal.

It snowed about 4" the first day I was here (early January), but since then the sun came out and most of that melted. It hovered in the 30’s F, dipping to the 20's F at night for most of the month.

In February, it snowed terribly hard here. Istanbul was in chaos. I grew up in the mountains and am accustomed to snow, but unfortunately there is not the proper infrastructure here to cope. They got about 3ft (1m) of snow and are about as well equipped to handle it as the Bay Area… rather comical actually. Lots of downed trees and power lines. My road was blocked by fallen trees, one missed my car by about 15ft. Some of the older locals said that they have not seen this in over 20 years.

I continued to live in Bursa until ~August, but commuted daily to Gemlik so a total of nearly 9 months. I watched winter melt away and spring pop up, only to see the sun of summer heat things like an oven.

The summers were hot and the winters were cold. Bursa is a place that truly has four seasons!! I used Bursa as a base camp to explore many nearby places like Istanbul, Troy and Iznik. Even some farther away, like Kas, Assos and Kapadokya.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Turkey Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

For some more general thoughts, please visit my Turkey page.

• Pros:Home of the best Iskander
  • Cons:Don't under estimate the snow in the winters, roads can be treacherous.
  • In a nutshell:An ancient city with modern conveniences, get your legs in shape for the hills and enjoy the centuries of history.
  • Intro Updated Apr 4, 2011

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Nice page, I now know not to visit in winter.

• Anjutka's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Hi!Your pages about Turkey make me wish to visit this country again.You were lucky to visit some not so touristic places there...and I was also excited about the hair-dresser there, she made me the best haircut in my life:)

• ozalp's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2009 at 1:21 AM

How come you've visited Bursa? I always think it's an off the beaten path. I love this city, my relatives live in Mudanya district. My mouth watered while reading about Iskender kebab.

• mirliya's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2008 at 6:40 AM

Dave,you will come back to Bursa next year ...really !?Your iskender kebap will be ready here:)).Greetings from sunny Bursa ...

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Great page of Bursa. Have not heard of this place until now. Now I know better. Thanks 4 sharing.

• Minashka's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Hey you :) Thanks for dropping by! Would be great if you made it to Azerbaijan one day! Been to Turkey many times but not to Bursa, although I do have Bursa-Ipek scarf ;-) Liked your HP by the way... Ciao, M

• Oct 8, 2006 at 3:08 AM

You've been to Bursa hm? Even you lived there?? What were you doing in Bursa? Greetings from Izmir!

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2006 at 9:08 AM

Love the healthy balance of serious historical facts and funny annecdotes. I bet the local papers carried stories of a murdered barber a day after you had your haircut :-)

• Alikatt's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2006 at 5:17 PM

I enjoyed shopping in Kozahan and browsing your pages on Bursa. Snow is falling there still and in Istanbul as well. Are you back in CA? Cheers.

DSwede Used To Live Here!

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Bursa