"End of the Silk Road" Top 5 Page for this destination Bursa by DSwede
Bursa Travel Guide: 252 reviews and 635 photos
Bursa is around 2 million people. The city is actually rather long and rectangular, instead of the common circle. The majority of the city is on the side of a mountain, so it traverses much longer than it rises. The city has a long history, dating back to before the Silk Road from Asia, but that is when the city really began to develop. Bursa was the western end of the Great Silk Road, and therefore was a busy trade market of Asians and Europeans.
The city grew on the hill over the centuries mainly to save the lower flat lands for farming. Also, the Turks consider many of the natural springs on the side of the mountain to be extremely therapeutic and medicinal.
It snowed about 4" the first day I was here (early January), but since then the sun came out and most of that melted. It hovered in the 30’s F, dipping to the 20's F at night for most of the month.
In February, it snowed terribly hard here. Istanbul was in chaos. I grew up in the mountains and am accustomed to snow, but unfortunately there is not the proper infrastructure here to cope. They got about 3ft (1m) of snow and are about as well equipped to handle it as the Bay Area… rather comical actually. Lots of downed trees and power lines. My road was blocked by fallen trees, one missed my car by about 15ft. Some of the older locals said that they have not seen this in over 20 years.
I continued to live in Bursa until ~August, but commuted daily to Gemlik so a total of nearly 9 months. I watched winter melt away and spring pop up, only to see the sun of summer heat things like an oven.
The summers were hot and the winters were cold. Bursa is a place that truly has four seasons!! I used Bursa as a base camp to explore many nearby places like Istanbul, Troy and Iznik. Even some farther away, like Kas, Assos and Kapadokya.
- Pros:Home of the best Iskander
- Cons:Don't under estimate the snow in the winters, roads can be treacherous.
- In a nutshell:An ancient city with modern conveniences, get your legs in shape for the hills and enjoy the centuries of history.
The Kozahan is the ancient Silk Market which is still in use. Maybe 20 shops, all selling various colors, patterns, and... more travel advice
Perched up in the mountains (in the direction of Uludag) in an area called Inkaya. Nothing more than a couple of small... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Bursa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mighty Bursa"
- "End of the Silk Road"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bursa
- Hotels in Bursa
- Transportation in Bursa
- Nightlife in Bursa
- Restaurants in Bursa
- Shopping in Bursa
- Warnings and Dangers in Bursa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bursa
- 15 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Bursa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bursa
Photos in BursaSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Bursa hotel reviews
- Hotel Anatolia
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 9, 2013
- Kervansaray Termal Hotel
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Kent Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 13, 2013
- Kervansaray Bursa Hotel
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Allstar Almira Hotel
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Celik Palas Hotel
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Otantik Club Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 5, 2013
- Holiday Inn Bursa
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2013
- Tugcu Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013