"An Oasis hanging on the cliffs" Al Hamra' by DSwede
Al Hamra' Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 26 photos
Al Hamra is gently sprawling on the valley floor surrounded by moonscapes and mountains.
Winding up the rocky hillside about ~8km past Al Hamra, the small hamlet of Misfat Al Abriyyin (many alternative spellings exist). Hanging on the rocky cliffs, Misfat is a unique oasis, built on the steeps of the rocks with terraced crops.
Arguably one of the more unique and picturesque places I've been to. Upon arriving and starting my walking tour, some of the old locals came out, greeted me with the few words they knew of English and walked with me partially through the town to make sure I got on the right path.
It was here hat I opted to have another 'virtual' meet with PALS.
I came here via car from Bahla. I continued on my way to the areas around Nizwa.
For more thoughts on my time in passing through, feel free to visit my Oman page.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Oman Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:If you can bear the heat, you can walk the entire area in a day.
- Cons:Paths and corridors are steel and have many steps. Those with mobility problems may only get a small flavor.
- In a nutshell:This is a live example of an oasis perched on a cliff.
Entrance is free. Opening hours are daylight. There is no guard, no official notices or placards. When you arrive at... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Al Hamra' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Al Hamra & Misfah - Beautiful old mountain towns"
- "An Oasis hanging on the cliffs"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Al Hamra'
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (167)
Have you been to Al Hamra'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Hamra'
Photos in Al Hamra'See All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos