"Nestled in the Rocks" Muscat by DSwede

Muscat Travel Guide: 434 reviews and 1,198 photos

Muscat is a quiet capital. My time here was too short, but I think I stayed long enough to get a good flavor of the city and a desire to return for more.

I read up on the city a lot before coming. Couple that with a great cultural exchange and guide when I had the opportunity to meet fellow VT'er Ahmed, I had a wonderful time in Muscat.

Muscat has had a long history, being one of the older ports along the eastern coast of the Arabian Peninsula. In the ancient days, Sohar may have been a strong seat in the area, but Muscat has remained a steady landmark for centuries.

Nestled in the tight cracks and valleys of the rocky mountains, the natural landscape is one of contrasts. It provided natural protection from invasion, making it a formidable and important port city. Therefore over its history, it has been a prime target and possession of many seafaring nations, namely the Portuguese, since they left the largest influence with architecture and reinforcements of the forts.

I cannot speak for too many other corners of Oman, but the people of Muscat were genuinely friendly and open. Granted, some of the salesmen in the souqs may have been a little overbearing at times, but outside of that, the people were wonderfully kind.

I came to Muscat as a stop in a road trip that brought me through northern Oman. For more thoughts on my time in passing through, feel free to visit my Oman page.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Oman Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

• Pros:The few centers of interest can themselves be walked easily (mind the heat!).
  • Cons:Public transit may be difficult for foreigners, so best have your own car or take taxis.
  • In a nutshell:A relatively small and quiet capital city despite its long history, good for a casual 3 day visit.
  • Intro Updated Apr 4, 2011

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2012 at 5:57 AM

Good tips for my upcoming visit! Thanks you. I hope we can make it to the AFMl what a shame it closes so early on Thursdays!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2009 at 5:19 AM

Good overview of Muscat. I will be visiting there in March 2010, and am really looking forward to Oman. Good photos.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Well written.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 3:04 AM

Great Intro. page and hotel tip. Interesting to know how friendly the people were to you. Just the name itself makes "Muscat" sound exotic!

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Muscat