"Moby Dick Jr" Providenciales Island by DSwede

Providenciales Island Travel Guide: 161 reviews and 656 photos

Doing what most people do when the go to Turks and Caicos, I sat on the beach, I played in the water and I went diving. The island of Providenciales is similar to just about every other island retreat in the Caribbean. Its subtropical, breezy and wonderful for lounging. Just don't get too comfortable and fall asleep, you'll wake up like a lobster.

There's plenty of family oriented resorts as well as singles places depending on what you want. Many of them are all inclusive, with everything except alcohol included, but you can add that to your package sometimes for a set price.

The diving is decent. Just as the island is, the diving is on par with the other islands in the Caribbean. However, the island is located on a prime migratory path of the humpback whales. If you are out on the boats fishing or diving, you might just see one. I was lucky enough to see one with a group of divers while we still had all our gear on and we got within feet of a ~30ft male. (ahh.. finally found the picture... see above)

• Pros:The diving is ok, but if you spot whales, you're in for a treat!
  • Cons:I found myself struggling for things to do after 4 days.
  • In a nutshell:If a book, beach and sun is what you want, then you've found it.
  • Intro Updated Mar 14, 2011

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Fantastic photo of the whale. I've gotten that close to wild dolphins in NZ,but never to a whale. Marvelous.

• mirliya's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2008 at 6:03 AM

I liked this picture.You were really lucy there.Greetings from Turkey

• ScubaCat's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2006 at 4:18 PM

Fantastic pic & wow, lucky you. I've never gotten that close to a whale. Hope to 1 of these days. Btw, being a spotter isn't all that bad, think of all the wonderful photos you got because of you! But hey, now you have your camera :-)

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Providenciales Island

Have you been to Providenciales Island?

Latest Activity in Providenciales Island