"Gateway to the Silver River" Colonia del Sacramento by DSwede
Colonia del Sacramento Travel Guide: 212 reviews and 589 photos
My work schedule in Argentina got shifted around so I wound up having a couple days off. In my last visit to Buenos Aires I had wanted to make the side trip to Colonia del Sacramento, but I did not have opportunity. Thankfully this last visit did afford me the chance, so I jumped on the ferry and came right over. And as another chance would offer, a few days later I found myself in Montevideo.
I think just about anyone would like it. It was hot and sunny. The small Portuguese colony was littered with old cars and flowery vines. It was kind of like old Mdina except not medieval but colonial.
It is on the flanks of the La Plata river, named not after the brown color of its murky waters, but rather for the fact that the river was the road to silver and wealth in the new land.
There's a dynamic history, where the possession of the colony changed back and forth between the Spanish and Portuguese many times. But today, the historic center is filled with lazy cats, sun drenched flowering vines and lots of old cars that may or may not work.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Uruguay Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Small and rather compact city, can walk everywhere within a couple hours.
- Cons:Tourists come and go like cattle on the ferry.
- In a nutshell:Fortified Walls, Colonial Streets and Lighthouses
The handicraft market is an open air market with several different clusters of booths and kiosks. Many of the booths... more travel advice
While it may not be one of the official museums listed in the brochures or identified on the maps, if you appreciate or... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Colonia del Sacramento Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay"
- "Colonia del Sacramento"
- "The ugliest page of the nicest town"
- "Colonia del Sacramento"
- "A beautiful old town in Uruguay"
- "Going back in Time Machine"
- "Wonderful Ancient Colonia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colonia del Sacramento
- Hotels in Colonia del Sacramento
- Transportation in Colonia del Sacramento
- Restaurants in Colonia del Sacramento
- Shopping in Colonia del Sacramento
- Warnings and Dangers in Colonia del Sacramento
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colonia del Sacramento
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Colonia del Sacramento?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colonia del Sacramento
- Posted in Travel Rio de Janeiro Forum "Re: Lounges in Terminal 1 Galeao..."
- Commented on one of henri123's Colonia del Sacramento travel pages
- updated a Colonia del Sacramento Travel Page "Gateway to the Silver River"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gateway to the Silver River"
- Wrote a Review Handicraft Market in Colonia del Sacramento Shopping
Photos in Colonia del SacramentoSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Colonia del Sacramento hotel reviews
- Kempinski Hotel Colony Park Plaza Colonia del Sacramento
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 2, 2013
- El Viajero Hostel Suites Colonia
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Radisson Hotel Colonia del Sacramento
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Sheraton Colonia Golf & Spa Resort
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 27, 2013
- Don Antonio Posada
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Hotel Italiano
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- La Mision
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013