"Eclectic roots and culture" Montevideo by DSwede
Montevideo Travel Guide: 541 reviews and 1,134 photos
Montevideo was my second visit in almost as many days to Uruguay. I had visited Colonia del Sacramento a few days before.
Montevideo, despite being the capital city, does not quite live up to the international standard. Much of the city is run down, depressed and very quiet. Several of the streets in the old quarter look like the locals left and took the windows with them.
But don't let that completely sway your opinion. There are some nice park areas and architecture in the city. The locals that I spoke to were all very friendly and kind. The city does have a rich culture, influenced by generations of Europeans, diverse architectural styles, foods, arts, etc.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Uruguay Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Costs are cheap and people are friendly
- Cons:Much of the city is run down and depressed
- In a nutshell:Pockets of good and bad places, most can be easily done on self guided walk
Charles Darwin is one of the most famous world explorers and naturalists. He and his crew set foot in most corners of... more travel advice
The small bakery and confectionery called El Louvre is well worth the stop if you have a sweet tooth. I walked by this... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Montevideo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Montevideo, balcón al mar"
- "Monte video , yes I saw the mountain as well"
- "Ciudad de Emociones- Montevideo - City Of Emotions"
- "I was here!!!"
- "MONTEVIDEO – ‘I SEE A MOUNTAIN?’"
- "MVD: IN PROGRESS...CHECK BACK SOON"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montevideo
- Hotels in Montevideo
- Transportation in Montevideo
- Nightlife in Montevideo
- Restaurants in Montevideo
- Shopping in Montevideo
- Warnings and Dangers in Montevideo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Montevideo
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Montevideo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montevideo
- Posted in Travel Tanjungpinang Forum "Re: Papua/Raja Ampat from Tanjung..."
- updated a Montevideo Travel Page "Eclectic roots and culture"
- Wrote a Review Camino de Charles Darwin in Montevideo Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Camino de Charles Darwin"
- Commented on one of Suet's Montevideo travel pages
Photos in MontevideoSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Niterói Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (78)
Latest Montevideo hotel reviews
- Four Seasons Resort Carmelo
- 166 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Four Points by Sheraton Montevideo
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Ermitage Hotel
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 10, 2013
- Mediterraneo Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013
- Best Western Pedro Figari
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 19, 2013
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 27, 2013
- London Palace
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- Oxford Hotel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2012
- Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Hotel Arapey
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 19, 2012
- Belmont House
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- Punta Trouville Suites
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 22, 2013
- Holiday Inn Montevideo
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Balmoral Plaza Hotel
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2012
- Hotel Palacio
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013