"Eclectic roots and culture" Montevideo by DSwede
Montevideo Travel Guide: 551 reviews and 1,158 photos
Montevideo was my second visit in almost as many days to Uruguay. I had visited Colonia del Sacramento a few days before.
Montevideo, despite being the capital city, does not quite live up to the international standard. Much of the city is run down, depressed and very quiet. Several of the streets in the old quarter look like the locals left and took the windows with them.
But don't let that completely sway your opinion. There are some nice park areas and architecture in the city. The locals that I spoke to were all very friendly and kind. The city does have a rich culture, influenced by generations of Europeans, diverse architectural styles, foods, arts, etc.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Uruguay Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Costs are cheap and people are friendly
- Cons:Much of the city is run down and depressed
- In a nutshell:Pockets of good and bad places, most can be easily done on self guided walk
Charles Darwin is one of the most famous world explorers and naturalists. He and his crew set foot in most corners of... more travel advice
The small bakery and confectionery called El Louvre is well worth the stop if you have a sweet tooth. I walked by this... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Montevideo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Montevideo, balcón al mar"
- "Monte video , yes I saw the mountain as well"
- "Ciudad de Emociones- Montevideo - City Of Emotions"
- "I was here!!!"
- "MONTEVIDEO – ‘I SEE A MOUNTAIN?’"
- "MVD: IN PROGRESS...CHECK BACK SOON"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montevideo
- Hotels in Montevideo
- Transportation in Montevideo
- Nightlife in Montevideo
- Restaurants in Montevideo
- Shopping in Montevideo
- Warnings and Dangers in Montevideo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montevideo
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (167)
Have you been to Montevideo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montevideo
Photos in MontevideoSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos