"The Dutch capital in the New World" Top 5 Page for this destination Paramaribo by DSwede

Paramaribo Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 182 photos

Mostly, being a white person, you will be happily mistaken as being Dutch. While I do not have any problem with that, when I did not reply in Dutch and rather looked confused when people spoke to me, most were surprised. They were curious to know how and why an American would find their way to Paramaribo.

I ran into friendly, helpful people everywhere. Both the locals and the Dutch who were on holiday or studying there. It is a little taste of Europe in the tropics. The streets are safe to walk at all hours. Cafes, restaurants and nightlife exist in plentiful supply.

While the museums and historical places in and around the area do charge admission (unlike those in Georgetown), they are maintained better and have greater wealth of displays. Places like Fort Zeelandia and Fort New Amsterdam give great visual and tangible connections to the early settlements and defense of them. The streets and architecture in Paramaribo is still original and will be for the foreseeable future since it is now a registered UNESCO heritage site.

For more general comments on my trip, feel free to visit my Suriname page.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Suriname Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

• Pros:Anything is possible in this modern city even though it has a colonial feel to it.
  • Cons:The constant stream of Dutch students and tourists drive the tourist inflation up.
  • In a nutshell:A prime place to make base camp for excursions, day trips and adventures into the interior.
  • Intro Updated Mar 13, 2011

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Very good tips and photos. Looks like a fine place to observe life in Suriname. What did you tell the people who asked how & why you came to Paramaribo?

• DSwede's Profile Photo
      Sep 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM

For starters I told them that I like exploring places that mainstream travelers don't. But I also told them I came because French Guiana was too expensive. They agreed on both. I'm heading back to USA on Thursday... a little dose of Americana soon

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Enjoying reading your trip here.,

• alexandria08's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Inspiring page, Dave!!

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Very nice and useful tips!

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Paramaribo

Have you been to Paramaribo?