"The Dutch capital in the New World" Top 5 Page for this destination Paramaribo by DSwede
Paramaribo Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 182 photos
Mostly, being a white person, you will be happily mistaken as being Dutch. While I do not have any problem with that, when I did not reply in Dutch and rather looked confused when people spoke to me, most were surprised. They were curious to know how and why an American would find their way to Paramaribo.
I ran into friendly, helpful people everywhere. Both the locals and the Dutch who were on holiday or studying there. It is a little taste of Europe in the tropics. The streets are safe to walk at all hours. Cafes, restaurants and nightlife exist in plentiful supply.
While the museums and historical places in and around the area do charge admission (unlike those in Georgetown), they are maintained better and have greater wealth of displays. Places like Fort Zeelandia and Fort New Amsterdam give great visual and tangible connections to the early settlements and defense of them. The streets and architecture in Paramaribo is still original and will be for the foreseeable future since it is now a registered UNESCO heritage site.
- Pros:Anything is possible in this modern city even though it has a colonial feel to it.
- Cons:The constant stream of Dutch students and tourists drive the tourist inflation up.
- In a nutshell:A prime place to make base camp for excursions, day trips and adventures into the interior.
Plenty of people have commented here on the Open Air Museum and Fort New Amsterdam. However, nobody touched on how to... more travel advice
The Central Market is a typical city produce market, with fish, meats, produce, as well as dry goods. Upstairs, there is... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Paramaribo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Dutch capital in the New World"
- "I have won a trip to Suriname"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paramaribo
- Hotels in Paramaribo
- Transportation in Paramaribo
- Nightlife in Paramaribo
- Restaurants in Paramaribo
- Shopping in Paramaribo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paramaribo
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Paramaribo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paramaribo
Photos in ParamariboSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue