"Laid Back City in a Laid Back Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción by DSwede
Asunción Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 69 photos
Asuncion often goes overlooked to most people. Those with moderate geographical insight may know it is in South America, but again a few number of people know where it is. That is part of the reason I chose to visit. Little information is available on the area, particularly in English, so I was expecting the town to be relatively quiet, relaxed and underdeveloped for the tourist.
I was right and I was wrong.
Asuncion is underdeveloped for the tourist. There is little information, few landmarks and relatively little to see for the tourist looking to put a few more pins in their map.
However I was wrong to think that the town was quiet and relaxed. Almost immediately I was mixed with a new group of local friends, shown around, pointed in the areas of interest, and introduced to the surprisingly vibrant nightlife that Asuncion has.
I walked the city and explored on my own. I met up with locals for meals and drinks. I saw Paul McCartney in concert. I even saw a rendition of Les Miserabes. I had a good enough time that I found myself returning to the city a week after I thought I'd have over stayed my welcome.
Asuncion can be navigated by bus and taxi, but it will quickly become obvious that if people can afford cars, they will use them. Traffic can be bad, but I guess that is no different from any other metropolitan area.
The historic or central area can be explored by foot. I walked nearly every street, up and back, left and right in a matter of about two days. I think I saw everything both in the day and at night. While the day time is obviously safer, if you manage at night too, you will see some beautiful lighting.
The central area is quite busy during the day hours since it is a main commercial zone. However with few exceptions, it does calm down in the evenings. The city sprawls outwards in mostly three directions (the fourth being blocked by the river). These suburbs are where the action is at night and many weekends. The shopping centers, bars, restaurants, etc. are spread out in the web of roads that rarely have a straight line route. To experience the real Asuncion, you must get out of the center, otherwise you may think you're in a relative ghost town after the sun sets.
- Pros:Asuncion has an active nightlife and social scene
- Cons:Little information or infrastructure for visitors
- In a nutshell:A friendly, lazy and yet mostly forgotton city
While I could have easily written this under "restaurants", I believe even though there are many food options, it really... more travel advice
Lido Bar is not a fancy eating place, but it is a local landmark. Lots of locals come here frequently since the food is... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Asunción Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paraguay's center piece"
- "Laid Back City in a Laid Back Country"
- "Asuncion, Paraguay"
- "The empty quarter"
- "Exploring Paraguay's Capital"
- "A short visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Asunción
- Hotels in Asunción
- Transportation in Asunción
- Nightlife in Asunción
- Restaurants in Asunción
- Shopping in Asunción
- Warnings and Dangers in Asunción
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Asunción
- 17 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Asunción?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Asunción
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: What has been named after you?"
- Commented on one of DSwede's Asunción travel pages
- updated a Asunción Travel Page "Laid Back City in a Laid Back Country"
- Wrote a Review Parque Nu Guazu in Asunción Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Laid Back City in a Laid Back Country"
Photos in AsunciónSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos