"Gateway to the Lost World" Top 5 Page for this destination Georgetown by DSwede

Georgetown Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 70 photos

Georgetown is home to over half of the ~700,000 people of Guyana. Spread among the old colonial buildings, most of them live meager lives in meager homes. The impoverished facades are everywhere in the country, but do not seem to make the locals pause. There are a few humble things to do and see in Georgetown. The museums are free to the public and main streets’ colonial architecture is a step back in time. There are lots of smiles and friendly faces. I met some wonderfully helpful and friendly people.

But unfortunately I was also introduced to the problems with crime, theft and some shady dealings. During my short stay, my camera was stolen right out of my hand. The day after I met some Peace Corp volunteers, they called to tell me that later that same afternoon one was taken from behind and had his backpack, computer, camera and passport stolen. Crime is a byproduct of several factors, and unfortunately Georgetown has plenty of them. Foreigners tend to be targeted for non-violent crimes because the locals have learned that most foreigners are either hesitant to do anything against it, or will leave before they have any opportunity to follow up with the authorities.

I toured Georgetown and explored some of the local river ways to visit the Amerindian villages and swim in the “black waters”. The black water rivers are quite refreshing to swim in, particularly on hot days. It gets its color from leaves that fall into it along the jungle basin. It is clean and safe to swim in.

After Georgetown, I ventured down to the Brazilian border town of Lethem and the jungles of Iwokrama. For information about getting to Lethem, check out my Lethem page. For information about Iwokrama, read my Guyana page.

For more general comments on my trip here, feel free to visit my Guyana page.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Guyana Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

• Pros:In daylight, a colorful city with lots of variety.
  • Cons:The theft and safety issues in Georgetown are high. Even the most experienced traveler should be careful, particularly at night.
  • In a nutshell:Georgetown is the starting point for any journey in/through Guyana. Watch your safety and enjoy the sites during the daylight for two days.
  • Intro Updated Mar 13, 2011

• travelmad478's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Thanks for the info on this page! I'll be in Georgetown next month as the jumping-off point for a bird-watching trip. There's not a whole lot of information out there about it, so every little bit helps!

• DSwede's Profile Photo
      Sep 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Hope it helps! I explored from here into alot of the jungles. Lots of birds in Guyana!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2008 at 5:37 PM

I also live in George Town. George Town, Penang.

• mirliya's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2008 at 6:49 AM

Sometimes the life is taking our pictures without a camera:bitte ''lacheln'' sie:) Thanks for sharing:) Dave ,sory! it wasnt the right word,Im getting older:)

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Georgetown

Have you been to Georgetown?

Latest Activity in Georgetown