"The oldest university in the land" Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers by DSwede
Poitiers Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 212 photos
Among other things, Poitiers is home to arguably the oldest university in the region. The town is relatively small, with the historic corridor focused on the top of the hill, surrounded by the river on three sides and the bluffs on the fourth.
Due to the popular and reputable university, the town has a high percentage of students and younger population. The social scenes, cafes, etc. reflect that with a young and upbeat feeling.
If you get this far, I humbly suggest you also visit the medieval city of Chauvigny.
For more general thoughts on France and other worthwhile towns/cities to visit, feel free to view my France page.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my France Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:A young and energetic feel with the large university population.
- Cons:Built on a rather steep hill, so those with mobility problems cannot easily get around.
- In a nutshell:Cobblestone walks and old squares are bustling with students at the cafes at night.
When you walk upon Cathedral St. Pierre, you will appreciate its magnitude, its royalty and attention to detail. However... more travel advice
If you have your walking shoes on, there is a fantastic panoramic viewpoint of the city and encompassing river. You can... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Poitiers Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of Important Ancient Buildings"
- "The oldest university in the land"
- "i miss this town!"
- "MY CITY"
- "City of Science and History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poitiers
- Hotels in Poitiers
- Transportation in Poitiers
- Nightlife in Poitiers
- Restaurants in Poitiers
- Shopping in Poitiers
- Warnings and Dangers in Poitiers
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Poitiers
- 8 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Poitiers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poitiers
Photos in PoitiersSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue