"Perito Moreno - Glacial Dam" Parque Nacional Perito Francisco P. Moreno by DSwede
Parque Nacional Perito Francisco P. Moreno Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 4 photos
Glaciar Perito Moreno is a calving glacier, meaning that it breaks of chunks that fall into the water. It averages 60 m tall, is ~3 km wide and several hundred km long. It is known for its stalagmite type points. It moves about 2 m a day. It intersects the natural connection of two lakes, acting as a damn on the upstream side. It has only broken 3 times in recent history, causing a huge rush of water into the lower lake.
The blue color of the ice is completely natural, despite many questions from others, I did not edit it in any way. The great pressure and weight of the glaciers compacts the snow and ice insofar as all the air pockets are gone. The resulting refraction of light through pure ice with no air pockets is a dark blue!!
The park is a worth while day trip from El Calafate.
For more general thoughts and impressions, please visit my Argentina page.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Argentina Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Some of the brightest blue ice I've ever seen
- Cons:Temperatures fluctuate wildly. Be prepared for all seasons in a day.
- In a nutshell:A trip to Patagonia would not be complete without visiting for a couple hours.
DSwede's Related Pages
Parque Nacional Perito Francisco P. Moreno Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parque Nacional Perito Francisco P. Moreno
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Parque Nacional Perito Francisco P. Moreno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parque Nacional Perito Francisco P. Moreno
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue