"The Quiet Side of Rio" Niterói by DSwede
Niterói Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 99 photos
Across the ~13km bridge (or the 20 minute ferry) from Rio is the quiet side of the Guanabara Bay. Niteroi has an old history, several waterfront military forts, old fishing villages and currently is a main shipyard industrial center.
While Niteroi central may now be a bit dirty and sketchy in places, the areas like Icarai, São Francisco and the towns spreading towards the Atlantic beaches are some of the more affluent in Rio. With that, they are a bit cleaner, safer and quieter too. There are lots of bars, restaurants, shopping options and general entertainment. There are no shortage of little neighborhoods and beaches, but most of the swimmable beaches are around Itaipu.
For other thoughts on my visits here as a whole, feel free to see my Brazil page.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Brazil Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Quieter and safer than Rio
- Cons:Traffic over the bridge and ferry can take a while
- In a nutshell:A lively but safer side of Rio
Depending on your fitness levels, it may take between 20 minutes to 1 hour to climb up to the top of the mountain on the... more travel advice
The small neighborhood of Jurujuba in Niteroi is a fishing village. It is at the the end of the road, at the other side... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Niterói Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Quiet Side of Rio"
- "eduardo mattos"
- "Niteroi Getaway"
- "RAISED IN NITEROI AND NO WORDS ABOUT IT??????"
- "Niteroi - Where I was born..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Niterói
- Hotels in Niterói
- Transportation in Niterói
- Nightlife in Niterói
- Restaurants in Niterói
- Shopping in Niterói
- Warnings and Dangers in Niterói
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Niterói
- 16 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Niterói?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niterói
Photos in NiteróiSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Niterói Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue