"The Quiet Side of Rio" Niterói by DSwede
Niterói Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 99 photos
Across the ~13km bridge (or the 20 minute ferry) from Rio is the quiet side of the Guanabara Bay. Niteroi has an old history, several waterfront military forts, old fishing villages and currently is a main shipyard industrial center.
While Niteroi central may now be a bit dirty and sketchy in places, the areas like Icarai, São Francisco and the towns spreading towards the Atlantic beaches are some of the more affluent in Rio. With that, they are a bit cleaner, safer and quieter too. There are lots of bars, restaurants, shopping options and general entertainment. There are no shortage of little neighborhoods and beaches, but most of the swimmable beaches are around Itaipu.
For other thoughts on my visits here as a whole, feel free to see my Brazil page.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Brazil Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Quieter and safer than Rio
- Cons:Traffic over the bridge and ferry can take a while
- In a nutshell:A lively but safer side of Rio
If you find yourself at this restaurant, you may very well be the only non-Brazilian there. That is parially due to the... more travel advice
Simply put, the best food in Niteroi. Granted, it is a bit more expensive, but the traditional Portuguese cuisine here... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Niterói Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Quiet Side of Rio"
- "eduardo mattos"
- "Niteroi Getaway"
- "RAISED IN NITEROI AND NO WORDS ABOUT IT??????"
- "Niteroi - Where I was born..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Niterói
- Hotels in Niterói
- Transportation in Niterói
- Nightlife in Niterói
- Restaurants in Niterói
- Shopping in Niterói
- Warnings and Dangers in Niterói
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Niterói
- 17 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Niterói?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niterói
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: What has been named after you?"
- Commented on one of DSwede's Niterói tips
- Wrote a Review Fantastic local seafood with locals atmosphere in Niterói Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fantastic local seafood with locals atmosphere"
- updated a Niterói Travel Page "The Quiet Side of Rio"
Photos in NiteróiSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos