"Up in the Clear Blue Mountain Air" Teresópolis by DSwede

Teresópolis Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 65 photos

I had long wanted to visit Teresopolis since from where I'd been living/working in Niteroi, I could see the Finger of God (Dedo de Deus) off on the horizon on many clear days. But it still took me a few months to find the perfect opportunity (work, schedule, weather, etc.) for a visit.

When I got to Teresopolis, I was welcomed with comfortable weather, clear skies, fresh clean air and light crowds. I later found out that all the people were in Petropolis, but was thankful to have the little mountain town all to myself.

The streets were relatively quiet, most places are easily within walking distance and easy to find. The people were much more laid back and friendly than in the busy cities.

The town has a few sites, warranting a short visit. There are many old colonial style houses, the Matriz de Santa Tereza church, the Fonte Judith, and lots of shopping opportunities.

However the main draw for the city is its location in the mountains, its panoramic views and the hiking trails. If you are a nature lover, you could come for a day on the city and weeks on the trails.

For other thoughts on my visits here as a whole, feel free to see my Brazil page.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Brazil Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

• Pros:Clean mountain air and quiet streets
  • Cons:Limited lodgings, particluarly in the busy winter months
  • In a nutshell:The town can take a lazy day, but the mountains could take forever
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2012

Comments

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Teresópolis

Have you been to Teresópolis?

Latest Activity in Teresópolis