"Built on the Rocky Hill" Baucau by DSwede
Baucau Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 11 photos
Baucau is not a city. It is possibly just an overgrown village (~16,000 people). Located about 2.5~3 hours east of Dili, its the second most visited place in Timor. It is built on the hillside and cliffs that lead from the upper plateau down to the coast.
There is the old town lower on the hill and the new town on the high side. Much of the town was in ruins following the Independence, but there are still a few colonial and older buildings to be found.
The old buildings that still stand come from the Portuguese days and have a flair of their architectural styles.
Baucau has a much more relaxed and welcoming feel to me that Dili. Its a bit easier on the body too since the temperature and humidity may be a little more moderate (just a little...). The locals here are also tend to live life on a more relaxed and peaceful pace. Its a good place to get a break from it all, too bad there's not enough things to keep you occupied for very long.
Feel free to visit my East Timor page for more general thoughts on my time in the country.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my East Timor Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Its the last place for certain conveniences, such as banks and most shopping.
- Cons:If you are not with other people, you will find it extremely quiet.
- In a nutshell:Good for a short stop, particularly since its the last place to get most provisions before going further into the interior.
Most of the older standing buildings in Baucau were from the colonial Portuguese days and somehow survived the... more travel advice
This restaurant was pointed out to me by a couple of local UN workers who had been staying in Baucau for months. The... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Baucau Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Baucau
- 5 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Baucau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baucau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue