"Gateway to the Old Colony" Hoi An by DSwede
Hoi An Travel Guide: 805 reviews and 1,722 photos
Hoi An, located about 40 minutes south of Da Nang is a tourist destination. With nice beaches, restaurants, resorts, and a historic old downtown quarter, it is a picturesque and comfortable town.
Hoi An was almost completely destroyed in wars during the later half of the 18th century (1770’s). Later it was rebuilt and again became a focal port that the Chinese, Vietnamese and Japanese mainly used.
However as time passed, the river suffocated itself with silt and Da Nang eventually became the larger port and grew to be the 3rd largest city of Vietnam.
During the French occupation of French-Indochina, Hoi An was infused with a mix of European flavors and architecture since it was an acting center for the French government.
Thankfully with the cooperation of most major parties involved, Hoi An escaped relatively untouched during the American-Vietnam War.
Today Hoi An has become a Mecca for backpackers on their north-south trail through Vietnam. The old quarter can be walked in a day. There are a couple of day trips to make, such as Marble Mountain, the beach, etc.
Otherwise people tend to spend more time here to fill their suitcases with cheap tailor-made clothes and fill their bellies on the ample supply of both Vietnamese and Western foods. The Cau Lau is good, which is a Vietnamese version of chicken noodle soup with green vegetables.
I would have added a few of my own tips here, but I feel the two I posted are more than enough due to the over-flooding of tips on the town. No need to add further clutter.
- Pros:Wonderful mix of architecture and food.
- Cons:The town's central areas are very thick with tourists and becoming more expensive.
- In a nutshell:A few day trips, a tailor made suit and beaches fueled with Asian/European mixed meals.
If you are on a budget, do not worry, this will not break the bank. And if you are not traveling on a budget, do not... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Hoi An Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Embodiment of Vietnam: Hoi An"
- "Hoi An 22/3/08 to 25/3/08"
- "A charming piece of History"
- "UNESCO HERITAGE Site..a Vietnamese HIGHLIGHT..."
- "The old town of Hoi An"
- "A living museum - Hoi An, Central Vietnam"
- "Vietnam's Living Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hoi An
- Hotels in Hoi An
- Transportation in Hoi An
- Nightlife in Hoi An
- Restaurants in Hoi An
- Shopping in Hoi An
- Warnings and Dangers in Hoi An
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hoi An
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Hoi An?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoi An
Photos in Hoi AnSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos