"The Mini-Venice of Philippines" Top 5 Page for this destination Coron by DSwede

Coron Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 511 photos

Coron is a nice quiet retreat on Busuanga Island, just north of Palawan. After my sister and I toured the south, we then came in from El Nido. We stayed in Coron for about 5 days before finally returning to Manila.

There are countless little places to explore, some island hopping and lakes to enjoy, as well as some marvelous Japanese WWII wrecks to dive in!

Coron on the island of Buswanga is different from El Nido on Palawan. Buswanga is relatively flat (in comparison) with larger open areas available for farming and ranching. If you fly in, you will easily see this from the plane
window. The jeepney from the airport to Coron town will be about 1 hour.

El Nido and the island of Palawan is very rugged and steep due to limestone.
The islands have a very different physical shape and contour.

Not to confuse you too much more, but Coron town is on Buswanga Island. There is also a Coron island (no permanent population), which is an island hop from Coron town. This Coron Island has similar shape of limestone cliffs as north Palawan.

Feel free to read some of my more general feelings on my Philippines page.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Philippine Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

• Pros:Fresh produce and fish yeild some tasty meals
  • Cons:Transportation options to get here are rather limited.
  • In a nutshell:A quiet retreat with some WWII wrecks for divers.
  • Intro Updated Apr 5, 2011

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Coron is one of the places high on my wish list of places to visit on my coming trip to the Philippines. Besides island hoping and snorkeling, I would like to spend some time in Maquinit Hot Springs and sample the daily fresh catch at La Sirenetta. I've heard stories about bout trips from El Nido, so same as you, I would rather take a flight.

• yellowbell's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Hmm, mouthwatering descriptions of the seafood. Missing all of those since I live in landlocked Colorado now.

• asianbelle's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 10:34 PM

thanks for your reply and the tips. have taken note of them for our october trip.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2009 at 10:29 PM

I bet you enjoyed travelling in Palawan! I travelled there (1989) and trekked for four days to go and see the indigenous people! They were still topless and just live on slash-and-burn! I love Palawan!

• Apr 26, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Willl look this place up on the map! Cheers, Marina

• moonlighting's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2008 at 5:29 AM

i forgot which wreck but i still remember seeing the japanese sake bottles..

• Rastarigo's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2008 at 7:53 AM

will be in coron next week. your tips will surely help. your wreck dive account makes me wanna try it

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Coron