"I signed up for this?!" Top 5 Page for this destination Multan by DSwede

Multan Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 100 photos

Pakistan would have been better a year or two ago before all the security hassles. Honestly, it was like a 3-star prison. Meals were good. Living comfort was ok. But it was boring since I could only look out the windows and not go outside. I know I have the stamp in my passport now, but will not strike it off my list of places I have to do. Due to company and government policies, I was only allowed to travel during daylight hours, was not able to step foot outside in public areas. I was under armed guard when ever outside of the work site (which was only on the way to/from the airport). It is a shame because I too have many Pakistani friends and think the country is beautiful, but its reputation has been tainted by a few bad eggs.

Honestly don't know what all the hassle is about. Any trouble areas are hundreds of kilometers from here. My work was out of the town by about 90 minutes. I passed a lot of poor villages on the way there.

The chats that I had with my local coworkers were my only good source of local information and cultural insights. But since I had constant companionship at work, long dining hours with various coworkers, and little outside entertainment, there was plenty of opportunity to share conversation.

Central and northern Pakistan are definitely witnesses of all seasons. It can get cold in the winter, and hot in the summer.

Its combination of heat, dryness, yet rather strong water table make it one of the most agriculturally diverse and strong areas of Pakistan. This area is known for dates and mangos, many of which are exported (so look at the label next time you have either)

While I visited, I saw temperatures ranging from 40C to 48C, but that is just a taste of the spectrum.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Pakistan Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

• Pros:Here you will definitely see locals going about their daily lives.
  • Cons:As a foreigner, transportation and safety are the main concerns
  • In a nutshell:A blue collar city, with a long rich history.
  • Intro Updated Apr 5, 2011

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Helpful tips. I was in Pakistan once a long time ago. Too many beggars then.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Interesting info. on the country customs, and good tips on requirements of PI Airlines!

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Multan