"Infamous Capital of the Land Below the Wind" Sandakan by DSwede
Sandakan Travel Guide: 222 reviews and 575 photos
I title this page as the "Infamous Capital of the Land Below the Wind". Those who have not done their homework yet may be confused by this. In my mind, it is the most direct way to summarize Sandakan.
The American author, Agnes Keith, made Sandakan home and wrote about her life on Borneo in a book titled Land Below the Wind. Claimed to be so for its location below the heavy winds and storm belt that lies north. While Sandakan was the trade capital in the old Empire, it has a darker history too. It was nearly destroyed during WWII and occupied by the Japanese. Soldiers suffered in the POW camps and all but six died within the walls or on the death marches. Civilians of the area (including Mrs. Kieth) went to great lengths to endure and escape the internment camps. In 1945, the Japanese burnt what was left of the city and erased it from the map. At that time, the capital was moved to Jesselton which was renamed Kota Kinabalu.
Thankfully times have changed and I rather enjoyed my relaxing time in Sandakan. Among other things, it was the stepping place for a few day trips to places like Sepilok, Pulau Selingan (Turtle Island), the wood coffins of Batu Tulug (outside Lahad Datu and Gomantong Caves.
- Pros:Wild orangutans, turtles and flying squirrels... where else?
- Cons:The nights are very quiet, particularly if you are alone.
- In a nutshell:With all of the side excursions to make, 4 days would be best for this coastal town.
There are several restaurants along the waterfront Esplanade. Prices may vary, but in my opinion, the Harbor Bistro Cafe... more travel advice
At several of the hotels, tour operators and the Tourist Information Center, you can pick up a free Sandakan Map. On... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Sandakan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From Mount Kinabalu to Sukau"
- "Sandakan Sabah"
- "THE FORGOTTEN CITY HARBOUR"
- "Sandakan, home of Sepilok"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sandakan
- Hotels in Sandakan
- Transportation in Sandakan
- Nightlife in Sandakan
- Restaurants in Sandakan
- Shopping in Sandakan
- Warnings and Dangers in Sandakan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sandakan
- 13 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (167)
Have you been to Sandakan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sandakan
Photos in SandakanSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos