"Plains, Stupas, UXO's and of course Jars too" Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Phonsavan by DSwede
Ban Phonsavan Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 101 photos
Phonsavan is a rather remote stop in anyone's treks through north and eastern Laos. It is far enough away and hard enough to get to that nobody would accidentally find themselves here. So with that being said, if you come here, chances are you have already read up on the area to know the historical "Plain of Jars" and the prevalence of UXO's (Unexploded ordinances) in the area. But just because you may know the historical importance of the area, does not mean that you have an image in mind when before you visit. I hope this page helps.
Phonsavan is the largest town on the great long winding road between the central mountains of Laos and the plains that stretch to the Vietnam boarder. It was built up in the 1970's as a replacement capital city to the devastated Muang Khoun (32km south).
Not long ago, this town was nothing more than a village. And in many regards, it is still only just a village, but growing over its boundaries. The streets are quiet and mostly dusty. Electricity used to be only during the hours of 5am to about 9pm, but this no longer the case. Regardless, it is extremely quiet after 9pm since the locals may still retain that lifestyle. The town can be easily covered by bicycle in a few hours. Outside of the city, a motorcycle or scooter would be best.
The area is relatively flat compared to the limestone mountains to the west (near Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng), but should are still gently rolling.
The higher mountains and steeper slopes are more heavily forested. The valleys and rolling hills are often covered with grassy fields. These fields are still spotted to this day with crater holes from the ordinances dropped during the War. So many bombs were dropped that people in the area still encounter UXO's to this day, and those that are no longer a threat often become part of the decoration or building materials of the local homes.
About 32 km south of the town is Muang Khoun. It is home to the That Foun Stupa, Wat Piawat and was the historic capital seat of the Phoan kingdom. It was heavily damaged during the Indochina war and has lost much of its original mite. But today, Muang Khoun is just another farming town that has very few outsiders pass by to see its treasures.
I came into Phonsavan from the heritage city of Luang Prabang. Unfortunately this was the end of my travels in Laos. I had come in overland, but had to fly out via Vientiane.
Feel free to visit my Laos page for more details on my extended holiday here.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Laos Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:The omnipresent UXO's and its impact will make all people rethink events.
- Cons:Transportation options to get here are rather limited.
- In a nutshell:A remote stop to see the higher plains, Stupas, UXO's and of course the Jars too
The locals give different names to all the different types of ordinances found in the area. Most commonly would be the... more travel advice
Use this tip in conjunction with my tip on That Foun Stupa (they are less than 1km apart) since they should be visited... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Ban Phonsavan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "So much more than the Jars."
- "JARS, UXO'S, MEMORIALS and VIET COFFEE HOUSES"
- "Plains, Stupas, UXO's and of course Jars too"
- "Gateway to the plain of jars."
- "The wild, wild, wild side....."
- "The Plain of Jars"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ban Phonsavan
- Hotels in Ban Phonsavan
- Transportation in Ban Phonsavan
- Restaurants in Ban Phonsavan
- Shopping in Ban Phonsavan
- Warnings and Dangers in Ban Phonsavan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ban Phonsavan
- 13 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (164)
Have you been to Ban Phonsavan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ban Phonsavan
- Posted in Travel Launceston Forum "Re: Photography in Automobille..."
- Commented on one of DSwede's Ban Phonsavan tips
- updated a Ban Phonsavan Travel Page "Plains, Stupas, UXO's and of course Jars too"
- Wrote a Review House decorations with "Bombies" in Ban Phonsavan Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tad Lang Waterfall"
Photos in Ban PhonsavanSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 28 reviews, 21 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos