"The Plains along the Mighty Mekong" Top 5 Page for this destination Pakse by DSwede
Pakse Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 174 photos
Pakse is the closest large neighbor in the south to Don Khong (Si Phan Don).
Having been initiated in 1905 as a French outpost, Pakse has grown more in the recent years that it had in the entire past decade. This is mostly due to the 2002 opening of the bridge over the Mekong, which allows a trade conduit with Thailand (even through the Thai border is a few kilometers past the bridge).
It is also a major starting point for further explorations of the Bolaven Plateau!
- Pros:Its just far enough away that you won't have to compete with (foreign) tourists.
- Cons:Particularly from the airport, foreigners may have to pay inflated prices.
- In a nutshell:A normal working class town, growing quickly due to a new bridge to Thailand.
Every single guest house and tour agency will offer bus tickets to anywhere you need to go. The problem is that you... more travel advice
Walking along the riverfront is a nice leisurely way to spend up to a couple hours. There are lots of open-air... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Pakse Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Plains along the Mighty Mekong"
- "Now this is getting more authentic"
- "hot town"
- "One Last - ahem - Adventure, Part Two"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pakse
- Hotels in Pakse
- Transportation in Pakse
- Nightlife in Pakse
- Restaurants in Pakse
- Shopping in Pakse
- Warnings and Dangers in Pakse
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pakse
- 9 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Pakse?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pakse
Photos in PakseSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos