"The Old Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Kaesong by DSwede
Kaesong Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 210 photos
Kaesong hosted many military meetings during the Korean Conflict. In so much, neither side wanted to be in jeopardy of getting caught in the cross fire. Therefore even though it is not in the current Demilitarized Zone, it was a general cease-fire area. To that end, much of the architecture in Kaesong has remained intact unlike the rest of the country.
When Korea was partitioned at the 38th parallel after World War Two, Kaesong was on the southern side of the line. At the end of the Korean Conflict, Kaesong was on the north side of the DMZ. Kaesong is therefore, either (a) the only occupied South Korean City by the north, or (b) the only city liberated by the North Korean People's Army in the 'Great Fatherland Liberation War'.
But today, the town is relatively small, with rural farmers flanking all sides. The roads and buildings are still wide, square concrete forms, typical of communist construction.
Just like P'yongyang, there are the typical propaganda adverts, the police women/men acting as traffic signals, wide streets void of much traffic and the customary tributes to Kim il-Sung.
We stopped in Kaesong on our way down to Panmunjom. Please visit my North Korea (DPRK) page for more general thoughts on my 5-day visit.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my North Korea Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Rush hour does not exist.
- Cons:You might mistake it for a ghost town.
- In a nutshell:A bit anticlimatic having been the old capital, since little exists save for some new monuments.
DSwede's Related Pages
Kaesong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Far Side of the Kimchee Curtain... Kaesong"
- "Rush hour in Kaesong"
- "Big on history but near big trouble"
- "The Old Capital"
- "Kaesong, my first step to North Korea"
- "North of the 38th Parallel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kaesong
- Hotels in Kaesong
- Transportation in Kaesong
- Nightlife in Kaesong
- Restaurants in Kaesong
- Shopping in Kaesong
- Warnings and Dangers in Kaesong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kaesong
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Kaesong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaesong
- Posted in Travel Busan Forum "Re: Ferry companies - Need help"
- updated a Kaesong Travel Page "The Old Capital"
- Commented on one of CliffClaven's Kaesong travel pages
- Wrote a Review Songgyungwan Academy - Folk University in Kaesong Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Songgyungwan Academy - Folk University"
Photos in KaesongSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue