P'yongyang Favorite Tips by DSwede Top 5 Page for this destination
P'yongyang Favorites: 6 reviews and 12 photos
Pyongyang at 8:30pm
Favorite thing: It is hard to imagine that in a city of its size, most life stops at sunset. Electricity is a premium that most locals cannot afford, so the skyline at night is void of many lights. The only lights you are guaranteed to see are those illuminating important monuments or more directly put, portraits of Kim il-Sung.
At 8:30 at night, the streets are empty of people, only the random person running home after working a late shift. Street lights are very few and far between. Buildings typically turn on their lights when you enter and turn them off again when you exit.
P'yongyang is the only place that from the center of 2.3 million people, when I opened my window, all I heard was the sound of the wind and chirping of crickets. There were no sounds of cars, traffic, music, parties or even conversations.
More Reviews (9)
DSwede's Related Pages
P'yongyang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pyongyang - Kim Il Sung's blank canvas"
- "The capital of North Korea"
- "Last bastion of communism"
- "Capital of the Forbidden Land"
- "The Eternal President"
- "Kim Il-Sung's Artwork: P'yongyang"
- "Beijing to Pyongyang"
- See All...
- Things to Do in P'yongyang
- Hotels in P'yongyang
- Transportation in P'yongyang
- Nightlife in P'yongyang
- Restaurants in P'yongyang
- Shopping in P'yongyang
- Warnings and Dangers in P'yongyang
- See All...
Explore the World
- Centurion Hotels
- Lesotho Hotels
- Quebec Hotels
- Oslob Hotels
Badges & Stats in P'yongyang
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to P'yongyang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in P'yongyang
Photos in P'yongyangSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Niterói Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest P'yongyang hotel reviews
- Yanggakdo Hotel
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013