"Stepping point for the rest of Java" Jakarta by DSwede
Jakarta Travel Guide: 1,351 reviews and 2,714 photos
In my ~4 months on Java Island, I passed through Jakarta a number of times on my way in and out of Surabaya and Balongan, Cirebon and Indramayu & many placed in between. I typically stated two days per visit.
I very much enjoyed my time in Indonesia, but I was actually rather glad I wasn't assigned to Jakarta. It has the same problems of pollution, traffic, congestion, etc... Only magnified.
I visited a few of the tourist places and enjoyed some of the livelier night life. In my opinion a couple days is enough.
My last time through, I took a side trip from Jakarata to go diving in Pulau Seribu.
Visit my Java Island page for more general comments.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Indonesia Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Anything is possible in this modern city.
- Cons:Its a large city, spreading out with an urban sprawl surpassing Los Angeles, only with worse smog.
- In a nutshell:The millions of scooters make it look like a busy ant colony from a distance, only noisier.
If you have some extra time in Jakarta, you may wish to go diving outside of Pulau Seribu (1000 Islands) for a weekend.... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Jakarta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful people in a hectic, polluted megalopolis"
- "Enjoy Jakarta"
- "the big doerian. ;-)"
- "Jakarta, The Megapolitan"
- "Jakarta - Indonesia's Melting Pot"
- "My 2nd Home"
- "A Sight of Jakarta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jakarta
- Hotels in Jakarta
- Transportation in Jakarta
- Nightlife in Jakarta
- Restaurants in Jakarta
- Shopping in Jakarta
- Warnings and Dangers in Jakarta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jakarta
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (164)
Have you been to Jakarta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jakarta
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 28 reviews, 21 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos